Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-08-2008, 05:08 PM

that was a great post Plunker--H.M's sensitivity and intelligence must have been a heavy load to carry,because as surely as it was an artistic gift,more surely it made him drift into isolation from others and loved ones which is in itself depressing.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:23 PM

Default Thanks lauxier!

In that Middleton spent the last days of his life on the back of a Garbage truck...I submit that, had he had a chance, he could have found and expressed the nobility, dignity, and beauty of that profession as well! If only the nobility, dignity, and beauty of doing what is necessary to support your family!

Plagued by demons?...certainly.
Depressed?...absolutly.
Retaining enough human grace and dignity to NOT take the easy way out (yeah! Papa Hemingway this means you )...Positively!

This Guy never had a chance at the Prize...didn't live long enough.

Can I getta AMEN from the sprinkled and anointed Brothers and Sisters of the "Owl Creek Gap Church of Universal Harmony"?
Apostle Plunker Presiding
Old 02-08-2008, 07:26 PM

AMEN I was soul searching for a church for a long time. Married a catholic now I am Catholic and very happy. But things may have been different if I had water from the Little river poured over my head and went off to do no harm.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:05 PM

I'll give you an AMEN because Owl Creek Gap is the only church I belong to...No others would have me!!

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 02-09-2008, 09:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
But things may have been different if I had water from the Little river poured over my head and went off to do no harm.

way different for sure...
Old 02-09-2008, 10:03 PM

Praise the Brookies and pass the collection plate!!!!

The spirit is coming over me to take up Serpent!
Old 02-09-2008, 11:09 PM

I've never researched this but was told a couple of years ago in a conversation with someone who was in the know, that Middleton was fired from an editor job with Southern Home Living or ? and just went down hill from there.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:19 PM

Default fired

he was fired from southern living for his inability to get along with upper echelon folks who ran the magazine--he thought his articles were above being edited,he seemed to be dominated by ego and the beleif he was infected by an intellect and talent so apparent that it bordered on being sinful to question the words that flowed from his god given gifts
Old 02-11-2008, 12:17 PM

Default My introduction to Middleton

... was about 2 or so years ago. I had seen, "On The Spine of Time" recommended and having grown to love the mountains from a young age, I couldn't resist the temptation to read yet another book about the area.

Needless to say that once I picked up a copy, I only set it down for meals and to sleep. I have to admit the first several pages were a bit wordy to me, but pressing past those few brief pages, I became addicted.

I suppose for me part of the allure was in my ability to so readily relate to Middleton's perspective and the incredible pictures he painted by the choice of words and manner in which he phrased his thoughts. In many cases it felt as though he had reached into the depths of my own soul and translated my deepest thoughts and emotions into words and images that I found myself unable to communicate or at least not able to do so with the clarity and impact his choice of words produced.

One of my favorite thoughts along these lines also answers for me, the "why?" of why I so love to fly-fish. It is as follows, "Some of my best days as an angler have been those when I have not wet a line or set a hook, but only sat and watched the stream and the daylight, and by day's end my senses, if not my creel, were overflowing. Angling brings with it a certain pleasurable degree of democracy, the right to hook a fish or simply pursue an especially intriguing day, one filled with soft light and a labyrinth of shadows. What other pastime offers such success, such reward for non-participation? (this next sentence is among my favorites) Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish."

God Bless,
Mike