Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-09-2008, 01:22 PM

Default An old fashioned fish camp!

In todays fishing report Byron was mentioning all the excitment once built up for opening day of trout season throughout the country that included alot of celeberation the day prior among fishermen. Along that line of thiking I began to recall stories told by earlier generation gentelmen about being in fish camp where folks met their guides if guided, would go off in pairs or alone during the day to fish and everyone met back in camp that night for food, drink, and telling "fish stories". Good times with jokes, advice on fishing, and memories of seasons past are had by all. I guess you could almost call it a fishermens jamboree as groups of friends camped and meet fellas in camps near by kind of socializing I guess. I'm thinking that sort of thing doesn't occur much today in a more fast paced society. Personaly, I think it would be neat to uphold such an interesting tradition/heritage once a year where the opportunity to meet other folks and learn about fly fishing over a camp fire and maybe even actually keeping a few trout to make sure they taste the way there suppossed to would be fun.

What do you think?

Chad
Old 02-10-2008, 02:20 PM

I think that would be a great idea!
Hunters do that still today, so why not trout fishers. Some fishermen seek the solitude of fishing, but it would be great to at least have it once a year.
Something to look forward to and see folks you might not get to see during the rest of the year with life being hectic now and all.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:05 PM

Keep me in the loop on this one. It sounds like it could be a great event!
Old 02-12-2008, 11:52 AM

Default remember the law!

I'm all for having a nip after a long day but remember that per the NPS rules you have to drink every drop once you open John Barleycorn up! Of course if yuo CAN'T finish it I humbly offer my services in an attempt to follow the rules.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:34 AM

I'd be up for it if I can make it.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:30 PM

Default Beaverkill tradition

If you've ever been to the town of Roscoe to fish the Beaverkill on opening day you know the tradition is still alive there. Most of the Beaverkill, Willowemac and Delaware are closed until April 1st. There are a few year round no-kill sections but most of the water is closed in the winter.

Being there on opening day is quite an experience. The campgrounds are full, the restaurants are packed with fisherman and everyone is talking trout. Nothing like hanging out in the Roscoe Diner at the end of a long day on the Beaverkill in April.

It's usually not the best fishing, mind you, but it's a great time to be in town.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:46 PM

I'm thinking we could use the old opening trout season date last used in Tennessee. Well have to work out the logistics but it sounds like alot folks might enjoy this.

I'm going to have to make it up to Roscoe one of these trips. It's now officialy on my trout fishing to do list. That list just keeps getting bigger all the time.

Going to get off computer and try to get some flies tied.

See ya on the river!

Chad