Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-13-2008, 03:43 PM

Question What flies to fish Gatlinburg in April

Hi my Hubby, and I are going to be in Gatlinburg in April and would like to hit some of the creeks and rivers if any in that area to fly fish, and I would like to know what flies are best for that area in that part of April?
We are both fairly new to fly fishing, and never fished the streams, mostly from bans, or kayaks, in large lakes, reservoirs etc. If anyone there would like to meet up with some new fisherman we would love the advice and the company of fellow fly fisherman.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:21 PM

Kayakfish,

Best bet on choosing flies is to check the Fishing Report right before you come and look at Suggested Flies. That will tell you what's hitting best at the time.

Also, take a look at Hugh Hartsell's Twelve Month Smoky Mountain Hatch Chart at http://www.smokymountainflyguide.com...h%20charts.htm. Gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect.

Closer to the time, let us know on the board when you're planning to come - I'm sure there's lots of us that would be glad to show you some good, accessible spots in the Smokies. It's what we love to do.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 01-13-2008, 08:13 PM

Default Flies to fish

Thank you so much will certainly remember to post up in April when we get ready to come up. I was just wanting to get some of the flies tied and out of the way. thanks for all your help.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:27 PM

Default Narrow it down

Kayakfish,

Hugh's list is pretty exhaustive. If you're going to tie your own, some key ones to have would be Adams, Cahills, Sallies and Stimulators. Can't go wrong in the Smokies with any combination of those.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 01-14-2008, 05:52 PM

Default Flies for gatlinburg

Tied up some Cooper Johns, and was doing some Royal Wulffs, but will start on the Adams, Cahills, Sallies, and the Stimulators. I have a cricket pattern that is realistic, that has been a hot item since I gave everyone the pattern that I made up do you think it would be a good one for the April Hatch?
Old 01-14-2008, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Default Moved your thread

kayakfish...moved your thread for more exposure. Thanks to CB for the heads up.

Paula
Old 01-15-2008, 04:57 PM

Thank's Paula, I was told I could count on you guys to give us some help in what where and when to go when we come up there in Mid April. will surely get in touch with you and check out the store as well since we will have to get permits as well as some flies and probally some tying supplies you know you can never have enough!!
Old 02-14-2008, 07:26 PM

Dries can be alot of fun, but if you like to go nymphing the phesant tail of any kind,princes,stones,ex... are awesome.There are some large fish in hiding up there,so get anything buggy on the bottom and you may find better fish. Sounds crazy but tie a brown zebra with big gold bead and brown uv dubbing collar on about a 2487 #12 and see what happens.Good luck on your outing.