Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-15-2008, 08:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite
Default black nymphs in the winter

So we all know that the little stones have started to hatch pretty regularly in the mountains. Now in my own experience I have rarely seen fish key in on the adults. Its strange too, because usually the stones skate accross the water a while before they really take off. Seems they would be easy picking in my own mind. But i was wondering if alot of people use small black nymphs this time of year. I pretty bad about using pheasant tails, princes, and copper johns. If I dont have alot of luck on those, well, then i just switch to smalled pheasant tails, princes, and copper johns. Now I must say, those three flies have caught more fish for me than any other three that I could think of. But what if I'm missing some awesome action on black nymphs immitating the stones that are so prevalent this time of year... I'm going to tie some up tonight and fish Tellico tomorrow, but if anyone has some comments on the black nymphs, please let me know. Thank you.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:43 PM

I had good success last winter on a black Simi Seal Leech in a #14-#16. Tied properly in the smaller sizes, this does just as good imitating small nymphs as it does leeches... This was my go-to pattern in February into early March last year on the Hiwassee and in the mountain streams. Generally I trailed a small midge behind it to give the fish another option... Black copper johns in about a #16 or #18 can be good as well...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 02-16-2008, 01:35 PM

I had a lot of success with a little black stone when I was in the Park last spring (Mid May). Especially during the day when nothing was happening on the surface. If I had any idea how to post a picture I would. I am talking like size 14 - 16, bead head. Fairly simple, curved shank (like a stimulator hook), black biots for tails, floss half way up the hook, wire rib, then peacock hurl for a thorax. Shell back of swiss straw with biot legs out the side of the peacock.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:36 PM

Default Hmmm~

Copper John......Rubber Leg......Varient......Size 18........Black.........Dark Brown!!!!!!!!!

That's all I'm saying!
~Bretts