Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Conservation Organizations and Fly Fishing Clubs

Old 02-15-2008, 11:46 PM

Default Byron?

I'm sure you have someone you can contact to find out how close the goal is to being met. I've looked at the same number for quite some time now! I ordered mine the other day and I wanted to bring this back to the top of the threads to make sure people were aware they've only got till March 31'st to get thier order in for the new plate....I really hope it happens it would go towards such a great cause....What's really funny about it, is the simple fact that it's struggling to take off....If it were hanging on the wall as a plate you could get right now, people who don't even know what a brook trout is would buy it, just for the simple fact it's a "PRETTY" plate!

Anyway....I did say I ordered mine the other day, and was quite frustrated after ordering it....I did it online, kept messing up, and finally it went through...After going through it said something about the Cumberland Trout Unlimited Chapter.....So now I'm thinking my contribution went towards them instead of the Little River Chapter! Huh, oh well! It's all going to somewhere I'd prefer to see my money anywho! I also plan on a few trips to the Caney this year, so I feel like I probably put it in the right place by accident!

Anyway it ends up, I hope to proudly display mine on my beater soon! It will be the nicest attribute my poor car has going for it!

~Brett
Old 02-17-2008, 02:54 PM

I'm starting to think NC loves their fishermen more. cheaper lic, cheaper "back the brookie" plates. and they only have to presale 300. check it out:

http://www.flyfishingnc.com/the-news...ense-plate.php
Old 02-17-2008, 09:48 PM

Trevor!

Yes, you are on to something. I don't want to sound that I don't value our resources and I would like to support TU and a lot of other venues with monetary support if I could. The problem is not to sacrifice some money for this one time. The problem for me and many others is that some counties have dramatically raised their tag fees and or added wheel taxes we didn't have before. The tags and tax in Knox County for an example went from $24 dollars to $60 overnight. I think $95 dollars a year for a specialty plate is too much. Call me stingy or whatever but with two or more vehicles to pay for and with gas going to $3.50 gal this summer as anticipated by most experts it's getting to be a drag. I fond my self limiting my fishing choices last year due to costs. I realize this is probably a good thing for the environment, but it is not a good thing for the economy nor the local fly shops I pass on my way to the river. Sorry for being negative but I don't see this plate thing happening for most Tennesseans who live in counties with horrendous wheel taxes.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to JimmyC

Just received an email about the plates. A very quick reply (something I have been quite fond of when dealing with anyone involved in the fly fishing industry, TU or others) and here's what I was told. Of course I'm hoping Dr. Davis won't mind me posting this email ... and I ordered mine too soon, no 10 bucks off for me =(

James,

First, thanks for purchasing the plate and supporting the TU specialty plate. We try to update www.tuplate.org , but it is a month behind.

Second, we have sold 425 as of this writing or 42.5 % of our goal. We have to presell 1,000 plates by June 30, 2008. Once we submit a check to the Dept of Safety, they will put the plate into production. It will take them 4-6 mos before your county clerk will notify you the plate is ready for pickup. An unused license time on your present plate will be prorated.

If do not sell the 1,000 plates by the deadline, your money will be refunded. We have a lock box and escrow account for the TU plate money separate from other TU funds.

We had an article in the winter issue of TROUT. I'm hoping to reach all 2,500 TU members in the state with that article in TROUT magazine and persuade those who are procrastinating in buying the plate to support our fishery conservation efforts to move forward to benefit not only the present generation, but future generations to come. You can help us by encouraging friends and family to buy a plate for conservation.

If you would like to directly help in soliciting other TU members in your chapter to buy the plate, please contact me by e-mail and we'll set at time to talk and derive an effective strategy to reach them and bring them on board.

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you soon and please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Dr. Dick Davis, President
Trout Unlimited Cumberland Chapter # 181
4913 Tyne Valley Blvd.
Nashville, TN 37220-1531
H-615-297-3508
C-615-477-8936

Last edited by JimmyC; 02-18-2008 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: Forgot something
Old 02-18-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennswede View Post
I think $95 dollars a year for a specialty plate is too much.
Hey Hans,

I understand the money crunch thing.

But one point I'd like to make is that this can be looked at as a one time thing. A one time donation in the name of a hobby we all love.

After TU reaches the goal of 1000 plates this year, it's a go. TU wouldn't have a minimum to sell each year. So people could go back to the cheapest tag they can find.

So, people can just look at it as a one time donation that you can write off as a donation. A win win.

Then our TU chapters and in turn our rivers and streams will benefit for years to come.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:24 PM

Rocky!

I understand your point, but the problem is that it is not a one time thing. In order to keep the plate it's $95 a year. I would like to have that kind of tag every year but I'm not willing to do it for that kind of cost. Sorry. It's not TU's fault but our wheel tax is too high in Knox County. I know I could easily look at it as a one time deal but I don't want to pay $95 dollars every year for tags. I put in sweat equity to TU and I'm going to do the same for FFF. I have driven several times to TU's Hiwassee clean up and the gas have cost close to the cost of the plate. The problem is that it is just not a voluntary thing for me to pay$95 for the tags. Tu is getting $17.50 of that. The rest I guess is going to all kinds of other baloney. I'm sorry for being grumpy about this but I'm not pretending to like this and everyone is entitled to their opinion, I'm sad to say I won't buy an overpriced tag. I will however continue to support TU and FFF with labor and not much money but at least I'm doing something.

Btw, Long time no see Rocky. Which river are you on nowadays?

Last edited by tennswede; 02-18-2008 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-18-2008, 10:19 PM

Hey Hans,

By no means was I trying to imply that your not doing anything to help. I, and everybody else who knows you also knows of your efforts.

The point I was making was not directed totally at you either.

I was just stating that for this first year, TU needs to sell 1000 plates. Once they reach that goal, all is good and TU can continue making money on tags well into the future no matter how many TU sells in the future.

For all of us that buy a tag this year, we can easy just buy a regular tag next year. Nothing would obligate us to buy another TU tag next year.

That's why I was saying that it can be looked at as a one time donation.

As for the fishing, I've been working the Hi, Holston, and Cumberland for the most part. Get a few days on the Clinch here and there.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:04 PM

Rocky!

I was afraid that my post could be interpreted the wrong way. I didn't take your comment as a remark on what I do or don't do for different organizations. I was merely trying to make a point for all the people out there who feel everything is a money racket nowadays. I guess I didn't make it clear enough that I'm not offended by your post or anyone else's for that matter. What I did try to say is that I'm getting a little tired of all the costs and all the emphasis on funds from members. I'm not trying to stir anything up, but am I the only one who is tired of this. I would buy the plate if it was more reasonable. I guess I feel that TU and others need to understand that they can make some people tired with all this. One good example is the membership renewals. I have renewals coming up every year in May. I receive the first notice in December along with solicitations for money. I then receive at least three more of these letters. TU should be able to figure out that I will send in my check a couple of weeks in advance of my due dates. They can save the postage and paper/environment by only sending out one renewal form or better yet do it electronically. If I don't want to renew I won't. No amount of junk mail can change my mind. My point is, less is better sometimes.

Didn't mean to rant here and Rocky, I'm not better than anyone else. I just help out now and then, pay my regular dues to TU and FFF, and that will do for now. I'm hoping to get down to the HI early March. Hopefully the generators are cooperating.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:19 PM

Hans I think the sme as you do, with two kids in private school money is tight, TU is always sending me junk mail wanting more money. Right now my volenteer work has been mostly for the Knights of Columbus, 6 years as an officer and they want me to run for 4th degree office. In june I finaly step down as an trustee and I have decided to spend my volenteer time toward the FFF club. If I had a paycheck for the hundreds of hours with the KofC I would be a rich man. But my son is very intrested in the enviromentand I have a chance to teach him something that I realy care for. That being said what little money I do give mostly goes in some way to the park, other than money I give to my church, my wife has the GSMNP plate on her 03 Durango, I am doing the 4 year payment plan for lifetime member ship in the Great Smokey mountian Assn. and I did buy one of the TU Plates for my 96 Nissan PU. one thing to remember is that when you pick up your tag they prorate it for the next year. Last time I did this i recieved an extra 4-6 months on my tag. We all decide where our money goes for you it's not the plate and I respect that. But for me it's one of the ways I give.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:52 PM

I've been a life member of TU since May 16th 1986 and TU is always trying to get me to sign up as a member. I'd like to have a dollar for all the invites I get, could buy a fine rod.

Ole President Cauvin's bow tie is probably to tight.