Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Website and Message Board

Old 02-19-2008, 12:18 PM

Default getting teenagers interested

My advice is to take them seperately at first, to build their skill level with no sibling competitions, arguements ,etc. You know what I'm talking about. The one on one instruction seems to help them, so don't plan on getting in much fishing time yourself. I also would recommend using a rod that loads easily like a med or med/fast rod. They will get the feel of the rod and see how it bends and delivers the fly throughout the cast. maybe start out on high percentage hookups like a bluegill pond with poppers and small bass.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:47 PM

I started Gaintfish out when he was 8 or 9 on spin tackle. he has limited out several time on the Caney. My daughter is 10 and she started out at 7 also with spin tackle. She loves to fish but is not up to all day on the river. That is the most important thing I have learned is to slow down and make short trips. I didn't do much fishing when Gaintfish started out, but as he got older and could remove his own fish and tangles I got to fish more. And that was what got him interested in fly fishing. He didn't understand that when he was younger I spent more time helping him than I did fishing. The first time I caught way more fish with a fly rod than he did with spinning tackle was all it took. Now the spinning rod stays home. I didn't push the fly rod on him, he decided when the right time was. His first wild rainbow this year was better than Christmas to him. What he does not realize is now that he has caught one dear old dad is going to start fishing again.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:50 AM

Thanks for the advice on the teenagers. Once I can talk them into going, I'll try taking them one at a time and see what happens. The lessons may not work with them since knowing my kids they will grumble and balk at the idea of "lessons" Plus money is an issue too. Hopefully I can get at least one of them interested. I think my son may likely be the one. He already enjoys Turkey Hunting and is excited about that coming up soon. He balked at that too, for awhile til he finally went last year and tried it.

- Herbert Hoover, devoted angler and thirty-first President of the United States.