Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Why We Fly Fish

Old 02-22-2008, 01:33 PM

Byron,

Just keep in mind, if it isn't broke, don't fix it. In my opinion, it isn't broke. I don't know that you need to invest in more effort for more graphics or bells and whistles. Most of us guys are simple folks and are pretty pleased with what have and what we get.

Scott
Old 02-22-2008, 05:19 PM

Default Less Is More Mr. B....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Begley View Post
Scott,

I also thought about taking some graphic design classes at our local Tech School. I'm almost 57 years old. I might not fit in. Or maybe I would. Anyway, thanks to you and all for your thoughts.

Byron
Byron, My degree is in Advertising and graphic design, which I finished at 42 years of age, in a traditional class setting. IT IS NEVER TOO LATE! Just Do It.

I would like to point out that one of the first and most important design principles you learn in that cirriculum is literally the "keep it simple" principle. Straightfoward communication is Key...all else is INTERFERANCE. The most amazing things happen in design classes...you start with nothing...you learn everything...you begin adding everything to your work ad infinitum...only to realize you probably should have stopped a few minutes after you started. I once had an instructor who said, "It's important that you know everything I'm teaching you....but it's vitally important that you know when NOT to use it!"

You have done an amazing job with this sight...don't fix what's not broken.
This sight is easy to use, and view! (nice layout, pleasing esthetics, good complementary color scheme, with just the right amount of subdued contrast to to be less stressful to the eye.) You choice of background really helps to focus attention on the product images (the important part!) in the catalogue. They really jump!
I would also guess that maintainence is quite easy compared to other sites...In the year or so that I've been visiting the site, I've NEVER caught it down, and have never had a problem with it. You may be working at your Apple Core furiously every night to keep it running, but I venture to say that very few ever pay attention to the "Man (or Woman...hey Ms. Paula) Behind the green curtain. Think of it as a sort of website Fung Shuei..ohmmmmmmmmmm

Of course that's my opinion...I could be, and usually am ...wrong...just ask my wife!
Old 02-25-2008, 01:52 PM

Scott and Plunker,

Thank you for your comments. I owned a bunch of quick printing shops for 33 years before I found this line of work. We had an art department but I never learned to use the Macs until recently (past 10 years). I remember attending a printing conference in the early 80's when we got to see Apple's new box called a Macintosh. We all said at the time, nobody will accept this stuff as a substitute for typesetting. Boy, were we wrong. I started buying Macs right after that. This site is pretty easy to maintain only because we built it from scratch ourselves. Daniel and I both use Photoshop CS2 every day. I use Illustrator some as you can see. You will probably notice that we use a little flash. Our Online Catalog is designed and maintained using several software packages. We use Adobe Dreamweaver daily. Though I have had no training in design I have watched millions of pieces of paper run through a printing press. You learn by what you see. White space is beautiful. I mentioned a day or so ago that I look at websites all the time to get ideas. But, when I got into the fly shop business 14 years ago, I never thought that I would spend this much time sitting in front of a computer trying to improve our marketing effort and reaching people around the world. Things have certainly changed in our business. I look forward to meeting you next time you are in the store. Thanks for your comments and interest.

Byron
Old 02-25-2008, 04:23 PM

Byron,

My son and I are planning a trip down to Townsend the week afer Easter to camp, hike, and of course fish. It will be a learning experience for me, but when isn't fishing a learning experience, because I have only attempted to fly fish in the Smokies once before and it was between my wife's shopping trips.

I have been fishing in Montana, Wyoming, and New Mexico, but never on small mountain streams. As I said before, I am from Dayton and my home waters are on the Mad River, which is nothing like your streams.

My son and I are not expecting much in the way of successful fishing, but just being out in the woods and getting away from it all will be reward enough. Just hope it doesn't rain or we may need to retreat to a local hotel/motel.

Thanks again to all of your efforts.
Scott
Old 02-26-2008, 03:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to JimmyC

I like this topic. I would also like to say that "highpockets" hit the nail right on the head. I check the report every single day. It's a nice break from the high walls of the Mental Institution (University of Tennessee). I'm fortunate to live in Sevier Co. and I fish a lot in the Smokies; and I can't wait to check the report. I love to see if I can out-fish the "slow" predictions. Thanks, Byron!