Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-28-2008, 03:41 PM

Default Making my first visit; have some questions.

Hi everyone,
My wife and I will be making our first trip to Smoky Mountains National Park the last full week of March (23-29). I am wondering if anyone can give us some information on what to expect in regard to the weather, crowds, and fishing.
We have some fly fishing background; that is to say we fish the trout parks here in Missouri about 3 times a year (10+ years) and have fished the San Juan in New Mexico once. This however, will be a new experience for us. My wife will probably not want to hike very far off the beaten path to get to the streams (especially if it’s cold) so any recommendations of streams near the roads are appreciated.
Also, as a first time visitor what are the “must see” park locations?
Oh, I don’t know if it matters but we are staying near Gatlinburg.
Thanks for your help.
-D
Old 02-28-2008, 06:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

www.nps.gov/grsm follow the bouncing links........live advice at the park visitor center on the spur or sugarlands.......best on the spur, we got more time to spend with the visitors...tho this is easter week and will be crowded.
come see me,
sam
Old 02-28-2008, 08:58 PM

VERY difficult to predict the weather that time of year. Could be a blizzard or quite warm. Odds are it will be fairly warm (upper 50s to low 60s) in the lower elevations.

Fishing should be good with easy access at Greenbriar, Elkmont, and Tremont.

For "must see" park locations I would encourage you to get out of the car, into the woods, and away from the crowds. While the park is the most visited in the country, statistics a few years back showed 95% of visitors never leave their car, and only 1% of visitors ever get more than one mile from their car!

Great hikes include Abrams Creek (great fishing, too), Chimney Tops, Andrew's Bald, Gregory Bald.

Have a great time.