Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Website and Message Board

Old 03-02-2008, 11:08 AM

Default That "other" Spring obsession...

Wasn't sure where to post this so I stuck it here.

Anyway..besides the call of impending fly hatches and rising trout. Does anyone else here have that "other Spring obsession" You know...the one that makes you hear gobbles in your sleep?!

Turkey Season is just around the corner too! Flocks breaking up..birds strutting everywhere! Yep I can feel it. I've got my calls out to practice up and get the rust off my calling..got the old shotgun out ready to go pattern it on some paper Gobblers.

Between daydreaming of rising trout and strutting Turkeys..I can barely function in the real world. It's gonna be a looooong month!!!

- Herbert Hoover, devoted angler and thirty-first President of the United States.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:13 PM

FishNlady,

You need to read the Fishing Report. I write about turkeys at least every three days. Take a look at today's report. I've been watching a group of about 10 hens and 1 gobbler for a couple of weeks. Before that it was jakes and hens. I too look forward to turkey season both here and in Kentucky.

Byron
Old 03-03-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Begley View Post
FishNlady,

You need to read the Fishing Report. I write about turkeys at least every three days. Take a look at today's report. I've been watching a group of about 10 hens and 1 gobbler for a couple of weeks. Before that it was jakes and hens. I too look forward to turkey season both here and in Kentucky.

Byron
Yes I have noticed that you mention Turkeys quite often. I had a feeling you might be a turkey hunter. I wonder if there are any others on here?

Actually, I do read the fishing report daily. And many thanks to you for providing such a great resource of info. I rely on it to decide whether it will be a GSMNP day or a tailwater day of fishing.

re: the turkeys..... do you think that they seem to be strutting earlier than usual? I've seen activity for 3 weeks here. With our milder winters the last couple of years, maybe TWRA should think about openng season a couple weeks earlier.

- Herbert Hoover, devoted angler and thirty-first President of the United States.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:57 AM

fishNlady,

Last year I heard gobbling in January which seemed odd. I noticed about a week ago that the Jakes were not in the flocks I've seen. A gobbler replaced them. I seems about right this year to me. I have one gobbler picked out that I might harvest. I plan to hunt before work. If you come in the shop I'll be the one dressed in camo.

Byron
Old 03-03-2008, 03:55 PM

Last Saturday, I was floating the Holston with some clients. We rounded the bend near the rock quarry and I guess we spooked a flock.....which was more like a herd.

About 150 turkeys flew from one side of the river to the other. Once on the north ridge, they quickly vanished into the hillside as they made heir way up the hill.

Pretty cool.

I see more turkeys on the Holston than any other tailwater in TN. Now the Cumberland River is loaded with turkeys as well.