Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-07-2008, 04:26 PM

Default Middle Prong 3/6/08

I had alittle time to kill yesterday so I stopped by the fly shop to pick up a few flies that I was running low on and it being so beautiful desided I would give the middle prong a shot. The water was high and cold and being the hardheaded young fellar I am I wasn't to worried about it. I trudged on in and started fishing. I managed 1 3 inch bow. The longer I stayed in the water the harder it was to stand and I had waded to the far side to fish a hole that I just couldn't resist. That's where the little bow came from but when I started back across I actually became nervous. I'm a fairly strong fella but the problem was I couldn't find a good foot hold with my feet being so numb it took some time to cross but I managed without taking a drink. No more cold, high water wading for me. It's just not worth it. BTW, I only had on 1 pair of cotton socks on because I forgot my big thick wool socks at home.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:00 PM

Nice...Was it a stock bow or a natural?
Old 03-07-2008, 08:17 PM

be careful out there guys.

Jeff
Old 03-07-2008, 10:01 PM

I was fishing Little River about 20 yrs. ago and nearly got caught in a flash flood event. It was in June and a heavy thunderstorm passed through. I had backed up under a overhanging rock out of the rain and enjoyed a good cheap cigar. It rained hard for about 45 min. then the thunder continued to rumble for about another 15 min up the vally. When the thunder finally got far away to where I could barely hear it, I left the rock and began to fish again. The water was already stained but not muddy. I was fishing some broken pocket water with a nymph and was on the far side of the river when I noticed the the water had very suddenly gotten really muddy by Little River standards. I looked back towards the road side of the river and discovered that the water had risen about a foot but was really a lot swifter. I beat a very hasty retreat back to safety and was pretty relieved to get there. Within 10 min the water had risen another foot or so and was completely unwadable. I was lucky enough to learn a valuable lesson that day and not become one. Ditto on the be careful guys
Old 03-07-2008, 10:02 PM

Default Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
Nice...Was it a stock bow or a natural?
I didn't think they stocked any fish in the park. Am I mistaken on that one?
Old 03-07-2008, 10:22 PM

Looked all nat ural to me. I have wondered if those stockers were put in below the weir dam in Townsend to keep them from running up into the park.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:49 PM

It was, in all probability, a wild fish. The occasional wayward stocker swims into the park from the outside, but they stand out - not as colorful and definitely not as strong. At three inches, I doubt it was a stocker - they generally put them in at a larger size.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijsouth View Post
At three inches, I doubt it was a stocker - they generally put them in at a larger size.

Ha! That's funny! There's a one next to his 3 lol.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg1262 View Post
I didn't think they stocked any fish in the park. Am I mistaken on that one?

I don't think so, but it is possible to catch one.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:19 PM

Read it again...it said he caught 1 3-inch bow...which means one fish that was 3 inches, unless the space was unintentional. A 13 inch rainbow from the middle prong would be an exceptional fish - there are a few, but not many, particularly after the drought, which seemed to knock off adult rainbows more than anything else...the only other possibility would be a stocker, but he would probably be fairly low on the stream to get one of those, and he didn't mention the location on his post.