Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-08-2008, 07:27 PM

Sorry guys. Yeah, that was 1 3 inch bow not a 13 inch bow. My personal best for bow in the park is a 11 1/2 incher out of the Middle Prong under the first bridge as I waited out a thunderstorm last year. She was colored nicely and had all her fins so I would guess she was native. I went to the second or third pull off last week. I don't count them anymore.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:29 PM

11.5 is quite a fish, especially outside of Abrams. My best is a 10, out of the WPLPR, and it really gave me a tussle on a 2wt. If it had good coloration and fought well, it was probably wild. I hooked a few fish at Cosby, near the park boundary in November; they were larger than the typical fish there, and they were nothing but dead weight on the end of my line - no fight at all. In the same stretch, I caught a 7 inch bow that outfought all of them - actually stripped off some line...it was definitely a wild fish.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijsouth View Post
Read it again...it said he caught 1 3-inch bow...which means one fish that was 3 inches, unless the space was unintentional. A 13 inch rainbow from the middle prong would be an exceptional fish - there are a few, but not many, particularly after the drought, which seemed to knock off adult rainbows more than anything else...the only other possibility would be a stocker, but he would probably be fairly low on the stream to get one of those, and he didn't mention the location on his post.

Wow, I've never caught a 3 inch trout, but then again, I fish in Townsend below the **** most of the time and have never ventured into the park. Man, I guess ignorance is bliss lol.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNHunt View Post
Sorry guys. Yeah, that was 1 3 inch bow not a 13 inch bow. My personal best for bow in the park is a 11 1/2 incher out of the Middle Prong under the first bridge as I waited out a thunderstorm last year. She was colored nicely and had all her fins so I would guess she was native. I went to the second or third pull off last week. I don't count them anymore.
I've caught quite a few rainbows, but nothing else, that's why I'm starting to fish the park now. The aren't many browns in townsend...That and the fact that the are "no trespassing" signs every where you go to fish below the ****. I don't know why they even stock there because no one will let you fish these days in town. I'm going to enjoy fishing in the park, I believe. It will be like having my own huge fishing preserve. See you guys Thursday.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
Wow, I've never caught a 3 inch trout,
I've caught a bunch, some smaller than that - some so small, I wondered how they were able to wrap their jaws around the fly. The average size is only around 5 or 6 inches, which isn't really that much bigger.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I've caught quite a few rainbows, but nothing else, that's why I'm starting to fish the park now. The aren't many browns in townsend...That and the fact that the are "no trespassing" signs every where you go to fish below the ****. I don't know why they even stock there because no one will let you fish these days in town. I'm going to enjoy fishing in the park, I believe. It will be like having my own huge fishing preserve. See you guys Thursday.
Here in Kentucky there are a couple streams like that too where the state stocks trout but all of the surrounding land is private and has no tresspassing signs on it. I just don't know why they taked the money they get from sale of fishing licenses and use it to stock other people's private fishing waters. I'll never understand that practice.

I'm sorry to see it happen in Townsend too. The good news is the park is private property for everyone and since we all share ownership, we can fish there.

As for small fish in the park, there are those days when 3" would be a blessing. Check out this monster from up around Tremont last summer.

Jeff
Old 03-09-2008, 06:11 PM

That's a size 6 PA and you have really big hands.....my guess would peg him at about 8", right?
Old 03-09-2008, 06:54 PM

Wow, that is a little depressing. I was hoping that I could catch at least 10 inchers on a regular basis...Oh well...Maybe I'll get one on occassion.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Wow, that is a little depressing. I was hoping that I could catch at least 10 inchers on a regular basis...Oh well...Maybe I'll get one on occassion.
Don't worry about size, there are plenty of 10 inch and better fish. Now if you want to worry, figuring out how to catch them might be tough...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 03-10-2008, 07:37 AM

Good point.