Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 02-13-2008, 10:44 AM

Default Upper parts of eagle??

Hello all, my camping partner and i have been discussing this as a possible trip for the upcoming year and i was wondering if anyone on here has ever been in this area. I know it is quite the walk if you're coming in from the dam, although the boat ride would definitely cut down on some time. We would probably be interested in staying around campsite 97 for some brook trout, although i do not know when it turns into brookies exclusively. I have asked around and have found no one who has been there that far up, or at least no one who is willing to admit it. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Craig
Old 02-13-2008, 12:03 PM

Default Eagle Creek

Craig,
You are probably going to have to go all the way up to Gunna Creek to find any significant population of brookies. There are probably some brookies to be found in some of the smaller tribs, but the elevation is too low for any great numbers. Gunna Creek used to be closed at the trail crossing, so there are probably brookies from that point upstream.
Hugh
Old 02-13-2008, 01:30 PM

Thanks for the info hugh (i'll probably be placing a fly order pretty soon). Justin and I were thinking of making a trip up there, just trying to figure out if it's worth the effort right now. It appears to be a pretty good haul, but you know that the prospect of great fishing throws all notions of common sense out the window for me. We're planning on doing 8 backcountry trips this year, i'll keep you up to date on how things go.

By the way, if anyone would rather not discuss this in public, you can email me at mtnman2888@yahoo.com.

Thanks again.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:42 PM

Did you do a search over on SEFFF? I recall old man (from Mooresville) did a trip up there several years ago, but I don't know how far up he went. He doesn't visit that board any more, but I may have his email address if you can't locate anything else.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:14 AM

Thanks for your help. My camping partner resent me an email that he received from matt kulp last year about this subject and it answered most of the questions i have.

Look for regular reports from the backcountry kicking off in may and lasting until october, we're planning on going to some great places this year and hopefully we'll bring back some interesting stories and pictures.

Craig
Old 02-15-2008, 09:53 AM

Mtnman I have fished the upper end of Eagle creek with my dad when I was about 14 yrs old. At that time I remember there being specs. I don't remember to much about the trip, other than how secluded it seemed. I would recommend trying to get a boat ride over. It would cut out a lot of extra walking time. I think you can pay people to ferry you over and then pick you up. I also plan on getting up there this spring so I will definitely be interested in hearing your report on the watershed. Have a good trip.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:27 PM

WNCFLY,

So you are going in the spring? We are planning on going a little later, i think june, so you will probably have the first shot at it. The mystery surrounding the area has gotten me increasingly excited about going, to say the least. I think we are going to stay at campsite #97 so it should be an interesting walk if nothing else!

Craig
Old 02-17-2008, 03:56 PM

I have hiked it from the lake to Spence Field. There is a point where you will start to catch a spec or two, but the rainbows and browns are present for almost the entire length of the creek. I have not fished the tribs above where Hugh said it used to be closed, the trail leaves the creek at about that point to go up to Spence Field.

Last edited by flyman; 02-17-2008 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: genetics have been cruel to me
Old 02-18-2008, 10:45 AM

Thanks for the input everyone. I finally found someone that has been up there that high and he repeated some of the same comments that y'all have said: specs are only way high up as browns and rainbows pretty much dominate the stream. Honestly, he said that it really wasn't worth the effort compared to other streams in the park. He also said that the stream was pretty small up that high, which doesn't bother me, but i was thinking it would be pretty decent size for some reason. So we'll see if we end up going there or not, if nothing else i'm sure it will at least offer some great scenery and a good rainbow trip.

Craig
Old 03-14-2008, 12:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5
Default Eagle

I would love to make the trip to the top of Eagle Creek. I did a day trip in there 2 years ago waking from the dam. Daylight I took off and Dark I was back. I walked all the way in to the first bridge right above the lake and didn't have a lot of luck, it was very hot and I am sure it had the poor trout hiding under a rock.