Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 12-23-2007, 11:00 PM

Default Florida Panhandle Help

What areas in the panhandle do you all recommend?
We have 2 young boys who will be on the beach with us.
I also want to be in an area that has decent surf fishing, whether fly or spin.
We will be going in the fall so we have time to plan and we are flexible.
Let me know the good and bad of the areas you would go.
Any help will be appreciated.
-Ben
Old 12-24-2007, 12:24 PM

I would pick Port St. Joe and Cape San Blas,

The State Park offers excellent wade fishing in the bay. You can also fish the surf on the other side of the cape. Kayaks can be rented on the cape. The beaches are probably the most beautiful in the United States. Excellent restaurants in Port St. Joe.

WATCH OUT FOR SHARKS! Jack Gregory and I were wade fishing in the bay this Spring and a 9' Bull Shark swam within 10 feet of him. I think from now on we'll have some kayaks close by.

Byron
Old 12-24-2007, 07:24 PM

Default Pan Handle

Appalachicola is a really pretty little town and there is a good outfitter there Robinsons Brothers Guide service. www.robinsonbrotherguideservice.com or something like that. Port St. Joe is really pretty, Byron goes to the area more than I. Lots of fishing in that area in the summer and fall even. I would go out with a guide at least one day, that will shorten the learning curve if you are new to the salt.
Merry Christmas!
John
Old 12-26-2007, 07:45 PM

Default Cape San Blas it is!!

Byron-- do you have any recomendations on flies to use? We will be going in early to mid october when it cools down a little bit. It looks like the state park at the end of the peninsula is quiet and offers good fishing from the surf. Also if you know of any websites to refer me too on what is biting that time of year or what patterns the fish will be in would be helpful. Thanks for the great recomendation on this area, it looks like a great place for the fisherman bringing his family.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:40 AM

I've had success fishing the surf in Destin. Usually Ladyfish on a chartreuse and white clouser. Funny thing is, they'll take it with nothing but the red eyes and a piece of white & green bucktail left. If you can do some exploring, anywhere you can find places where ponds meet surf at high tide, you can catch a bunch of fish. Other flies I use are gray/white clouser, shrimp patterns and glass minnow patterns. If you need a guide recommendation for Destin/FWB area, let me know.

For websites try www.bluebayoutfitters.com

Last edited by DanielMc; 03-25-2008 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: Adding content