Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 03-27-2008, 10:15 PM

Default New Gear and Tellico Trip

I had been drooling over the new orvis helios for about a month . Uncle Sam finally came through for me and my taxes were back Tuesday . I worked Tuesday night and when I got off work at 6:00 am I came home and woke the wife. It was time for a trip. We were both off on Wed. and I only had mountain trout and lightly woven graphite on my mind. We headed to Little River Outfitters and my heart lightened with each passing mile. I arrived at shop and felt like a 10 year old boy arriving at Disneyland or a 15 year old boy arriving at a Hooters don't really remember which. I purchased my dream setup! A 8'6 5wt Orvis Helio, Orvis battenkill 3 reel, and the new sharkskin fly line. My wife, who is the apple of my eye, gave me the I'm gonna kill you later look when the cash register sounded more like a jackpot winning slot machine at Harrah's than a standard store purchase. I was in heaven. What to do with my freshly purchased gear of course. Go fishing. We headed toward Tellico. We arrived and I picked a stretch of water. I don't carry a stream thermomter with me but the water temp. was somewhere between burrrrr and holy sh**. Rigged the gear with nymphs. A #12 tellico nymph trailed by a gray mayfly nymph. The wife came along camera in hand. After fishing for around a hour and a half we had brought 10 or 11 fish to hand. Most were between the 7-10 inch range . Two stockers were sprinkled in the mix. I kept four and my wonderful wife, who is reading this as I type, cooked them with some diced potatoes later that evening. Three Coronas with lime later I thought to myself this day would be hard to top!!
Old 03-28-2008, 07:50 AM

SWEET, you need to keep the wife entertained somewhere else in the store while at the cash register though

Grumpy
Old 03-28-2008, 12:36 PM

sounds like an awsome day and one for the memory banks for sure.....hey do you have any pics of her..............uhhhhh , her as in the orvis setup you bought....and we need some pics of the trout so we can live vicariously through your trip until we can get down there ourselves for some fishing...

congrats on the new combo, the fish you cought and for having an understanding wife.......

bob
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 03-28-2008, 01:03 PM

Old 03-28-2008, 01:03 PM

Old 03-28-2008, 01:04 PM

Old 03-28-2008, 01:15 PM

awsome.....haven't been able to fly fish for over a month in Ohio and I am really itching to get a trout on the end of a leader.......hoping to be able to hit the park in a week or three.......

bob
Jeremiah 29:13