Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-03-2008, 09:10 AM

Default mockers

have you ever had someone mock you because you enjoy catching fish that often don't surpass the foot mark? How do you respond or do ya?
Old 04-03-2008, 09:23 AM

leave 'em wondering!

Grumpy
Old 04-03-2008, 12:03 PM

"Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."

Thoreau, Henry David
Old 04-03-2008, 12:09 PM

If they mock you for fishing in beautiful streams for fish that look as pretty as jewels, and spending a day surrounded by the beauty of the mountains, no amount of explaining is going to make them understand.

They just don't get it and probably never will.

I've caught my share of big fish over the past 47 years. I've caught 6lb bass, I've caught 20"+ smallmouth, I've caught a 40lb catfish, and a 40+ lb carp, I've caught brown trout over 20" in tailwaters.

None of them compare to the rush of catching a 7" brown or a 5" rainbow out of a clear mountain stream.

It's not the catching, or the size of the fish that matters. It really isn't even the fishing. For me, it's the sensory overload the mountains.

They have a unique smell of moist earth, decaying vegetation, flowers, pine and thousands of others that mix together to make a very unique treat for the nose. You all know the smell. It's as addictive as coccaine and a whole lot better for you.

Then there's the colors. The mountains are a thousand shades of green, brown and gray.

The water is as clear as crystal but looks dark and mysterious because of the green canopy and the dark gray rocks on the stream bed.

The sound of water falling from the mountain tops rumbling over rocks that have been smoothed by millions of years of water falling from those mountain tops is prettier than any music made by man.

Then there's that occassional brightly colored gem on the end of the line.

Nope, if someone has difficulty understanding why you fish in such a place, I seriously doubt if there is anything you can say or do that will make them understand.

I honestly pitty anyone who has not experienced the mountains from the middle of one of their streams. I couldn't care less if I catch a fish or how big it is. Yes, catching fish is a little more fun than getting skunked but the truth of the matter is I just enjoy standing in a stream and enjoying what God has blessed us with.

If I didn't have to earn money to feed my family (and feed my fly fishing addiction) I could spend every day of the rest of my life fishing the Smokeys and on those days where I couldn't fish, I could spend looking out of my window at the mountains. This would make ma a very happy man.

Sorry about the long rant. It's been a strange couple days for me. My grandmother is having some health issues and I'm probably a little more emotional than usual.

Jeff
Old 04-03-2008, 12:31 PM

thanks for the replies. And I say Rant ON Jeffnles! I to could stay here in southern IN and catch bigger fish, but the mountains are wonderful and I agree "hunerd" percent with your post.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jross View Post
have you ever had someone mock you because you enjoy catching fish that often don't surpass the foot mark? How do you respond or do ya?
...If they're mocking you, then they're insecure of their own craft (or lack of one). I say invite the mysterious mockers on a Smoky Mtn fishing trip, and if they turn you down, then you've done all you can do.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:39 PM

Show them this picture! I will take a beautiful 10" native brook over a 20" dough belly any day.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNCFLY View Post
Show them this picture! I will take a beautiful 10" native brook over a 20" dough belly any day.
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! Nice fish, and this topic reminds me of something my oldest daughter was telling me the other day, while we were fishing. On one of our trips last summer, we fished Road Prong, and there was a steady stream of hikers, tourists, etc. She was fishing behind me, so I didn't see or hear this exchange, but she told me some idiot came up on the trail and was making fun of her for fishing there, saying "there's no fish in these streams, nothing can live in there" etc. My daughter promptly caught a small trout (I think a brookie), which you would think would shut this guy up...instead, he made fun of the small size, implying that it wasn't a "real" fish. I know, it takes all types...but it made me mad when I heard about it.

Like others on this thread, I've done all sorts of fishing; the sort of fishing we do here in the marshes and swamps of Southeast Louisiana is far different from the mountains, but I still enjoy it. However, these mountain trout are special, and it has to be due to a combination of their beauty (face it, I don't think we would get so worked up if these fish looked like carp, or suckers, etc), and the surrounding environment, plus the artistry involved in the method of fishing itself (fly fishing is far more graceful than chunking out a plastic bait under a popping cork on spinning or casting tackle). It's definitely a state of entrancement, almost like a dream state...it's hard to explain in words.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:47 PM

You all make great points, and I love to fly fish as much as any. Just bear in mind to go light on running down the "plastic bait under a popping cork on spinning or casting tackle". That's the grass roots of fishing and where most kids start, it's also how people get the impression we're "snobby" as Fly Fishermen. No big deal but just an observation, remember we all need to stick together nowadays, there are those that would love to see all fishing and hunting stopped. You guys have a great day and carry on.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:22 PM

I think for the average angler a zebco and bobber or some plastic doo-hickey will work. I'd say you're right in that. But as an angler gets more serious as an outdoorsman/fisherman the less they will run down other types of fishing.