Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-11-2008, 12:08 PM

Default Camping trip in Elkmont

I heard a comedian say once that rich people have glorious weekends while poor people just get a couple days off. I'm somewhere in the middle which means when the wife and I get a same day off we attempt to make the most of it. Anyway we were off together thursday so it was time for a mini getaway. We decided on Elkmont campground. We set up camp along the river and then hiked up little river trail to catch some dinner. The fishing was fair, probably didn't hike up far enough, we brought 10-12 fish to hand and kept six for some fryin. The highlight or lowlight depending on which way you look at it was me hooking into a real trophey fish. I was fishing nymphs deep when I received a strike deep in a pool. I set the hook and the fish didn't moved just began shaking violently. My 5wt helio was bent double. I fought the fish for 2 to 3 minutes which felt like an enternity. I never seen the fish. He ran down stream still deep and the battenkill reel probably thought I was marlin fishing. The fish found an undercut rock and went under it I waded to the rock and attempted to flush him out. When I arrived at the rock nothing but my nymphs was on the end of the line. I was kinda bummed but you have to tip your hat to a fish like that he earned his freedom. Anyway here are some pics from the trip. I like to live vicariously through other pics posted and I'm sure others do the same.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:09 PM

Old 04-11-2008, 12:16 PM

Old 04-11-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb541 View Post
You're making me hungry, and I just got back from lunch!!! Looks like you and your wife had a good time.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:05 PM

Looks good to me. Glad you and your wife had a good time.

Too bad you didn't get to at least see that fish. Hands Free Releases (HFR's) are always a mixed blessing. On one hand, the fish got away unharmed, on the other hand, the fish got away unharmed.

Jeff
Old 04-11-2008, 01:07 PM

nice! well at least you know where a big boy lives...you could probably go back to that hole again (once his jaw feels a little better) and hook him again...worth a shot anyways.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:04 PM

You camped and fished my favorite spot in the mountains...best campground in my opinion and great fishing.....I probably saw your fish last October when I was up there..just above Huskey Branch Falls I saw what had to be a huge brown....biggest I have ever managed up there was a 14" in the pool at the high bridge....used to see some monster bows up Fish Camp Prong also but not many recently.....glad to see you cook yoiur fish the old fashion way....most people would look at a fish with its head on and run....will be there the second week of June and already have my reservation for late September....cannot wait.