Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-14-2008, 07:27 PM

Default Hiwassee Report

Yesterday was looking kinda borderline for good fishing but turned out to be a good day. I met EarlofSoDak and ttas67 met us a little later in the morning. We started out fairly high on the river not too far below the powerhouse and were into fish right away.

The fish were taking midges in the morning before a few caddis started to show up around noon. At that point, the splashy rises indicated that they were rising to the caddis and we switched accordingly. It was a lot of fun to be catching fish on the dry again but it didn't last too long. The pulse came through and shut down most of the surface activity. We moved down river another half mile or so and got there just as the pulse was coming up. We fished right through the pulse and finally, as it started dropping out, the fish started rising again.

I dropped a softhackle below the caddis and was back in business with most of the fish taking the softhackle instead of the dry. We wore out the fish in that spot and finally headed down to Big Bend. We fished a little right there near the parking area and things were slow so we hiked down. Fishing was a little better down there but the highlight of the day was all the bugs that FINALLY started hatching. Somewhere around 4:00 the little BWOs started hatching and very shortly after, the Hendricksons (I think) made an appearance. This activity really continued off and on for the next 2+ hours and had the fish rising fairly well, especially in the foam lines were the bugs were collecting. We never had any really good fish to hand but it was still a nice day on the water... Next weekend its the Smokies and some WILD trout!

BTW, nice meeting you Jamie and as always, nice fishing with you Trevor...

Sorry but no fish pictures as all the fish were standard 8-12 inch stocker 'bows. I did get some of the insects however...

"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-14-2008, 07:59 PM

What camera are you using? I'm in the market for a new waterproof one this year. Nice pics. Keep up the blog.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:03 PM

Default Sorry I couldn't make it

David,
Thanks for the report, and sorry I couldn't make it down this weekend. Glad that you were able to get into some decent hatches with the crazy weather this weekend. I am thinking about taking Friday off and heading down to the HI. I only have a couple more weeks of fishing before the baby comes, and then everything will be on hold.

Travis
Old 04-14-2008, 10:40 PM

heyski, I use a Pentax Optio W30. It is a great camera but I have heard of some people having trouble with the waterproof part. I mainly just have it so I have some peace of mind using it over water. Overall I definitely recommend it. It has really good macro capabilities which is nice. Let us know what camera you choose and be sure and post some great shots! BTW, thanks for checking my blog...

Travis, congrats on the upcoming baby! I was keeping an eye out for you. It was a decent day on the river but it got pretty windy, downright ridiculous at times. The HI should be fishing very well but the end of this week. The hatches are happening and with the warmer weather forecasted, they should be excellent by that time. Be sure and stay for the late afternoon/evening hatch...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-14-2008, 11:07 PM

Default Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
heyski, I use a Pentax Optio W30.
I bought the same camera - Christmas present to myself...I had gone through 3 cheap cameras last year, including losing one to an unexpected dunk at Tremont. I really like it, but I haven't been brave enough to try it underwater yet.

We hope to be in the park ourselves this weekend - whirlwind Spring trip, but you have to hit it when the opportunities are there. The way work is this year, weekend trips might be all I can spare.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:44 PM

Just put it in underwater mode and start firing. You'll get a lot of bad shots but you'll also get a few good ones as well.

It's waterproof as can be, and does a fairly good job on underwater videos too.