Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-17-2008, 09:37 AM

Default my preferences

I hate to sound like the @$$ of the group, but if I can see you or even sense your presence, you're too close for me. I will get out and move at least 15-20 minutes away. However, I always assume that I have caught-up to you and not that you have jumped in in-front of me. I like to cover alot of water and move upstream fast. I have never had anyone get in the stream within sight of me. Most of the places I go, are places where people go to get away from other fishermen.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:06 AM

BlueRaiderFan, just send me an email and whenever they stop running a lot of water we'll try to work something out...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-17-2008, 07:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5
Default I hear that

I put my time in walking when I go fishing, so when I see someone jump in within sight, it gets kinda frustrating....I usually give at least a 20 minute walk if I see someone in the creek, usually more...
Old 04-17-2008, 10:36 PM

I guess I'm the outcast here. As long as the guy isn't "pay laking" me by fishing the same pool, I don't really mind. He paid his license the same as me. If he goes in a couple or so runs above me, I'll fish to where he went in and leap frog on up the stream. I've met some pretty decent folks along the streams and just don't see any good reason to get all upset about something while I'm out fishing.

My job and life is stressful enough. I don't need to let myself get stressed out fishing.

Jeff
Old 04-18-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
BlueRaiderFan, just send me an email and whenever they stop running a lot of water we'll try to work something out...

I sent you an e mail.

BRF
Old 04-18-2008, 03:48 PM

Blueraider, for whatever reason your email was in my junk folder...I got it and replied so if you haven't got it, you might want to check the junk/spam folder...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-18-2008, 09:07 PM

Everyone has experienced, and yes, a large number of my fellow fly fishers have written about what is and what should be proper fly fishing edict on our (sometimes over crowded ) streams.

There is always a caveat, that when I fish the Salmon River in Upstate New York it is an excepted practice to jump in on someone, where in Pennsylvania (or the Smokies) it would be an out rage and not tolerated in the least.

Not long ago while working a small section of a New Jersey stream, I happened to notice a young man working his way up stream while I was working my way down stream, as we continued to fish I kept an eye on him and I assume he did the same to me. It wasn’t long before we got closer and closer to each other, when we were approximately 50 meters away from each other I decided to change flies. While changing my fly I happened to lose track of this man and after a few casts I noticed he was gone. A few casts later he appeared up stream 30 meters away. I waited till he was at the end of his first cast and drift and raise my hand for attention, when he noticed my signal I gave the young man a salute of thanks and received a wave in return.

Fishing etiquette prescribes that the fly fisher moving up stream has the right of way. If he had not exited the stream, I was about to and walk around him down stream to continue fishing.

You always find people that are rude on the stream, so when you meet up with someone that is as polite as you, you tend to remember it more than the other's.

AK Skim
Old 04-19-2008, 03:55 PM

Default "Personal Space"

Sometimes this space is dependent on the angler. I swear that I was far enough away from this one guy not to effect fishing, but he kept moving any time he could see another angler. Sometimes I think as long as you scare the fish down my way it will be fine. The fish really own the waters, they learn where the danger is and where the food is. The bit of deception that angler provides is really matched with a fair anount of luck. But some people still like to feel sneaky and articulate when hunting a catch, or just simply need total quiet to do their thinking.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:48 PM

2 thursdays ago I was asking myself this exact question. I fished the middle prong and was "cut" off 3 different times in 2 and 1/2 hours of fishing. All three times I watched the person pass on the road and pull off within sight of me.It was starting to get alittle annoying but I figured everyone else was out enjoying the day just like I was but I prefer to be alone. Not exactly possible when you are fishing easy access places. That's why I work hard to find places that are harder to get to.