Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-01-2008, 08:16 PM

Default 20 mile Creek/ pictures added.

I went for a ride this morning and stopped in at 20 mile Creek ranger station. What an hour I had. In 1 hour I put 7 to hand and lost that many or more. #18 BHPT done the trick. The water temp was 55 degrees. I caught one of the most beautiful bows I have ever caught too. I was surprised at the average size of the fish from that small stream. I have some good pictures but they were taken on someone elses camera so maybe they will send them to me. I will be back soon to do some exploring on that little creek.

Last edited by FishNHunt; 04-02-2008 at 11:16 PM..
Old 04-01-2008, 09:38 PM

20 Mile is a regular stop for me on the way to GA. I love it. Quick fix for trout and a nice pit stop mid way.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:45 PM

That stream has intrigued me for a while...thought about checking it out last week, but there just wasn't enough time. I've read mixed reviews on it - if we're able to get up there again in a few weeks, I'll have to try it out.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:38 PM

What were the sizes of the trout? Did you see or catch any browns?
Old 04-02-2008, 08:48 PM

I didn't measure them but I would guess a good 9 inches on the largest but I missed several that I saw roll on it that would go bigger than that. I would say that it's a good likely hood they run up the river from Cheoh. I didn't catch a brown. I only fished maybe 75 to 100 yards of water in that 1 hour. I can't wait to get back over there with all day to spend. I will try to have my friend email me the pictures so I can put them on here.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:50 PM

From what I've read on that stream, it's pretty much a rainbow stream, with a few runup browns from the lake.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:15 PM

Bending the ole 5 weight.

That pretty Bow.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:46 PM

Pretty fish...and if it put a nice bend in a 5wt, I can imagine how my 2wt would feel. I caught one last week that was 10", but surprisingly, he didn't fight all that great...I had a couple of 6 inchers that outfought him.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:58 PM

I remember my dad talking me and my brother up there years ago, beautiful spot. We caught about 4 or 5 stocked brookies(between 8 and 10 inches) that had obviously run up out of the lake and a few little wild rainbows.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:07 PM

Default Twenty Mile - 4/19

Fished from the Ranger station up to the 4th bridge for about 2 hours on Saturday afternoon as I was headed back from Wesser, NC.

I hiked up to the 4th bridge, mainly scouting likely places to fish and then hiked down and fished about a dozen of those areas on the way back to the ranger station. I brought three trout to hand and LDR'd three more and missed about half a dozen strikes as well. I had a very nice looking 'bow chase after a few of my flies with out taking them, in exactly the same spot as FishNHunt's rod bending picture above...

Some downside observations: Although I have read that fishing up around CS#93 is supposed to be good, I can't imagine how it could be. There just doesn't seem to be enough water to make the fishing worthwhile after you get above the 1st bridge (Wolf Ridge Trail). Because the stream is so small the Rhodies have been able to create a low canopy in many spots and make the stream unfishable in many areas. On top of that, the water has been lightly stained both times I have been there of late and probably makes it a bit less productive with dries.

Upside observations: The fish I hooked and those I missed all seemed larger than they should be for the size stream they are in. Perhaps the abundance of canopy helped escape the drought and heat from last year, unlike many of the other streams. Also, the section from the ranger station to the 1st bridge is nice and has a lot of trouty looking spots. Its fairly wide and doesn't have too much vegetation to hinder casting and has some more-than-willing trout.

Summary: I wouldn't make a special trip to go there, but if you are somewhere that takes you by it, its worth a few minutes, to an hour or two of fishing. Fish from the Ranger station up to the first bridge. Don't waste your time above the first bridge, unless you like really challenging casting conditions...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."