Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-22-2008, 02:33 PM

Default French Broad Fishing

My buddy called me today saying he went smallmouth fishing somewhere about an hour from Knoxville on the French Broad river but refuses to reveal the secret hole. He said he caught plenty of smallmouth but also landed two twenty inch rainbow trout. Does anyone know where this could be? Are there any public access spots on the French Broad that I could go test out the Broad?
Michael
Old 04-22-2008, 05:45 PM

Default Buddy?

Wow, I would certainly let my buddies know where my secret areas are. I probably would'nt post them for 500 people to see , but would let my pals in on the fun.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:51 PM

You can go up 40 east to exit 407(Bass Pro exit) and turn rt. Go down to Douglas dam road and turn Left. You will go over the french broad and then your next rt turn will lead you down to the river. You can fish the whole area just below the dam. There may be road 139 ? that leads towards dandridge that is before douglas dam road. you will have to follow the signs towards the dam and it will bring you to the same spot as mentioned above.

If you want to take a pretty drive you can turn rt at the 1 stop light after getting off the 407 exit. It leads you up along the flea market. Go straight thru the stop sign and follow that road out a ways. It will make a hard rt turn, but keep on going. You will follow the river for a while and I spotted a few public access points.

If you want to call me and I can try to give you better directions over the phone. Email me at flyfishjeep@hotmail.com

Hopefully this will help you.
-Ben
Old 04-22-2008, 10:31 PM

Flyfishjeep mentioned some good smallie water there. I plan on doing some floats from the dam to the hwy 66 bridge this summer. Its just a short float, but I've caught plenty of fish on that section before. If your buddy was catching a few trout, I'd say he was fishing the french broad before it runs into douglas lake. This is mostly smallmouth water, but I have heard of people catching nice bows there as well. Also some sauger, catfish, and carp there. There is some access to this section of the river in cocke county, but I'm not familar enough to give out good directions to follow. This flows all the way up into north carolina along I-40 to I believe waterville dam? I'm not sure though. There are a lot of rafting companies around that area. You couldn't miss it travelling into nc on 40. You can also exit there, and hit either and hit either deep creek or maybe its something else, again I'm not real familar. That creek flows from the national park and I believe is a good brown trout stream. It flows beside a narrow gravel road that will eventually lead all the way back into cosby. Its a pretty trip. I may be wrong on all that, and have it mixed up with some other trip, but my gut feeling is that that is the road. Either way, bows are caught in the french broad above douglas lake, and it is also great smallie water.

-ben
Old 04-22-2008, 11:45 PM

Default thanks

Guys,
I really appreciate all the replies, advice, and directions. I believe I'll try out the broad very soon. I love fishing the park, but every now and then I've just got to hunt some bigger fish and this sounds like another good place to do it. This sounds like a wonderful area too and can't wait to make the drive. I've been fishing at least three times a week lately because I will be graduating college in two weeks and from what I've been told, you can't skip work as easily as class. Got to enjoy it while I can. Hopefully I'll be posting a nice, big picture for the April fish of the month!
Michael
Old 04-23-2008, 06:41 PM

I've never heard of trout below Douglas. Maybe the French Broad up in North Carolina?