Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 04-22-2008, 12:23 PM

Default Introduction, and Question

Hello, I am a new member to the group, and have enjoyed Lurking for the past couple of months.
I am planning a trip to the GSMNP in the next month and was wondering about the size limits for trout. What if you catch a 6.5" trout and hang it in the gills? Do you keep it, or do you still need to let it go? I usually release everything unless I plan on having it for dinner that evening, but it doesn't really make sense to return a fish to the stream that is obviously going to die.
Also, where would the best areas to find Brookies? I don't mind a long hike.
Thanks
Old 04-22-2008, 01:24 PM

Wearemout-Welcome to the board.
As for an answer- I would not try my luck against the park services. Even if the fish is short and foul hooked I would release it and let mother nature take its course. It is better to do that than break the rules in a national park and suffer the consequences (sp).
Hopefully this will help.
Have a good time on your trip to the Smokies
Old 04-22-2008, 01:51 PM

Default Thanks

Thank you Flyfishjeep,

Yes, I am sure discretion is the better part of valor. Just seems such a waste. I'll try to post some pics from my trip when I go. That is IF I can snap one of a trout darting under a rock as I approach!
Old 04-22-2008, 08:28 PM

Welcome aboard! Try the upper portion of the West Prong of the Little Pigeon for brookies with easy access...lots of good water and plenty of small brookies and rainbows...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://troutzoneanglers.com
http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com

Old 04-22-2008, 09:14 PM

If you're looking for brookies, another stream to try is Cosby...it's easy to access, but it's a bit of a drive from anywhere else in the park.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:44 PM

Default Thanks Guys

Plateau,

The West Prong area looks pretty good on the map. I just might give that one a shot.

ijSouth,

I can't find Cosby on the map. Where exactly is it?

Also, I like a long hike in, and really don't care if I get back out. (As long as I do get out before my ribs start showing!)
So, where are some WAY out of the way spots, maybe with a little deeper water?
Old 04-23-2008, 07:46 PM

Cosby is in the Northeast corner of the park, about 20 miles east of Gatlinburg, or about 15 miles from Newport, TN. It is a "frontcountry" camping area, with a paved access road leading to the campground. It doesn't require much hiking to fish it, so that might not be your cup of tea. However, if you're REALLY into hiking, you can take the Low Gap trail out of Cosby, hike over the crest of the Smokies, and on the other side you'll be in the Big Creek drainage; while I have never fished up there, just by looking at a map I feel fairly safe in stating that a lot of that water sees few, if any fishermen.

Last edited by ijsouth; 04-23-2008 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: Got my streams confused
Old 04-23-2008, 09:43 PM

Well I agree with the way you look at things. I love a good hike into isolated waters. My reccendation would be to start at new found gap road and too hike down deep creek trail until you reach campsite 53. There you can fish up or downstream where the fishing is great. There is a pretty good possibility to catch the slam.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:01 PM

Default Thanks Guys!

That should give me some places to start. I'll send you all a report when/if I come back!