Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing Around the World

Old 03-09-2008, 01:24 PM

Default Alberta

I'm looking for hands on reviews and experience from the area west of Edmonton and out towards Jasper as well as in to Banff National Park.

I'm not interested in the more famous areas west of Calgary. I don't want to fish the crowds of Bow river.

I have looked at some stuff on the web but I'm looking for something more different than guide service web pages. Anyone locally who's been to the area. Any info appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 03-11-2008, 01:16 AM

I wish my dad was still around; he spent a lot of time up there when he was in the oil exploration business, mostly WAY up north in the Canadian Shield, but he also spent a lot of time in the mountains, too.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:49 AM

tennswede,
If your looking at fishing in the Banff area, then you may want to consider the area south of there. The Livingstone, Oldman, and the Highwood rivers are some very nice small streams. We camped in that area about six years ago and I've been wanting to go back ever scince. Not many people and some great scenery. I believe the town of Coleman is in that area.Cutthroat,cuttbows, and some rainbow. The Highwood is a tributary of the Bow river that the fish use for spawning. Hope this helps.

mstone
Old 03-24-2008, 11:05 AM

mstone!

Thanks for your reply, yes I know of the area you are talking about but my goal is not to go south of Banff. I'm trying to find Grayling and therefore my direction would be west of Edmonton. I'm looking for people with experience from The Little Smokey River and the area north of Jasper.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:56 PM

Default possible info

Hello tenn swede (my middle name is bjorn-, lived in TN all my life, and my Grandad (name of Bjornlund) came over to Canada from Sweden). I know a guy that lives up that way (west of Edmonton) and will try to get in touch with him for info for you.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:49 PM

Guy going by "Doc" on the North American Fly Fishing Forum was very helpful when I was headed to Edmonton last month (March). He has a website devoted to Edmonton area fishing.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:23 PM

many thanks to both of you.