Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-22-2008, 09:55 PM

Default Clinch 4/22

Got on the church section of the Clinch this morning at 10:30. Beautiful day with a reasonable wind. About 11:00 a hatch of sufurs comes off and the fish are taking on top. Got lucky on a couple of nice fish. Lost two very good fish that threw the hooks. I used an orange sulfur flymph and a bhpt. Also tried a variety of odd flies, colors, and dropper rigs. That 11:00 hatch lasted about 45 minutes and lock jaw set in. Very few risers and no tugs underneath. I had to leave at 1:30. About the time the real hatch starts. Oh well . The best time to fish is when you can.

I am vacillating between orange and yellow. The fish take both. Maybe shape and size are what matters in this match up game. I would enjoy hearing others thoughts on the clinch sulfurs

Flat Fly n I appreciate your input. Don't know the Latin, but enjoy the lesson in advanced bugs. Sure Knots, Monk
Old 04-23-2008, 12:57 AM

monktrout -- LRO sells a dubbing called "Stalcup's Microfine Dry Fly", and there is a color called "sulphur". or at least I think so, maybe it's not called sulphur at all, But it is a sort of pale, in between orange and yellow. I've found it very effective on the soho and watauga. never tried it on the clinch though. I also typically use a thorax pattern.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:55 PM

Trevor, Thanks for the tip on the dubbing. Sure Knots, Monk
Old 04-23-2008, 06:55 PM

Default dubbing for dries

Superfine in sulphur is about all I have ever used. spins on EASY, and a good color match. Soooooooo much better than natural hair. Synthetic so the individual fibers won't absorb water..
LRO had some last week when I was there.

Want to get funky? Look up a "half and half". I believe Renee Harrop was the first to use these. REAL easy, and gets the fly at it's most helpless stage.

Tie a PTN as you start with 6-7 fibers, tie in some 6x for a rib (don't use wire, you want to cut your weight).. wrap the body from the bend to 1/3 up shank. Tie down the fibers, bend back the fibers, and cut short for legs. Now dub in some superfine heading to the eye, finish off with some dun CDC fibers for a wing, and whip in a head. Sulphur dun trying to crawl out of it's nymphal shuck! I use a TMC 102Y #15 hook. I know, not a standard hook, black, wide gap, and odd size. Not a 16, not a 14, but hey they are trout with really small brains.

Here's a "latin lesson" for you.
http://www.troutnut.com/hatch/11/May...nvaria-Sulphur

Last edited by Flat Fly n; 04-23-2008 at 09:31 PM..
Old 04-24-2008, 09:30 PM

Default Thanks

Flat Fly N, Thanks for advice on Rene Harrop patterns. I like his materials and his work with cdc. Good fishin', Monk
Old 04-27-2008, 03:19 PM

Default Updated photo of the Clinch "hamburgers"

I was below Peach Orchard yesterday around 10 AM and caught fish on a new emerger I have been working on. We then left and went to the church area. There was a small hatch around 1pm. I caught all my fish on nymphs, my son caught most of his on a emerger during the hatch. This was a sample of the insects from ONE clump of grass in the church. Sulphur nymphs obviously, sowbugs, and scuds.
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...h/IMGP0271.jpg

Last edited by Flat Fly n; 04-27-2008 at 03:54 PM..