Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-04-2008, 07:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite
Default hiwassee suprise

I fished the Hiwasse this afternoon starting at big bend around 1 O clock. Caught plenty of small bows out of the fast chutes and lost one decent fish. Shortly after I headed up to the powerhouse, which is where the suprise occured. I was talking with a fellow who fishes the Hiwassee as much as any of us fish any other stream (at least 3 times a week), and he told me some suprising info. He informed me that the rainbows that they so heavely stock through out the stream do not usually hold over well. He claims that by the beginning of September that many have died off due to water temperatures. He did say that the browns hold over better, which makes sense due to their leanient temp demand. Is this really true?? Do the bows not hold over well in the HI?? And maybe this is the reason I caught over 20 9 inch bows today.. And why in the world does TWRA just not stock more borwns!? Do they have something personal against brown trout? It seems to me they have things backwards. In ALL of our tailwaters if they would stock browns like they do bows and vice versa our streams would be in better shape.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:55 PM

Default stocker browns

2wt,
I have been on the HI after they did a heavy stocking of browns, and it is almost impossible to keep your dry floating. The little 4" stockers are constantly nipping at it and pulling it under. One day I probably caught 10 browns all between 4 and 5 inches. Both times it was at Big Bend.

I have heard for awhile now that the Hiwassee is not a river you would choose to fish in the late summer and fall because of the water temperatures and the lake turnover.

I don't know what TWRA's stocking plan is for the HI, but I wish that they would stock more browns as well. Just please let them be larger than those 4 and 5 inchers.

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 05-04-2008, 09:17 PM

Default big Hiwassee browns

The big hold over browns are pretty much nocturnal this time of year. Best time to catch one is at dawn's early light or super late eve. Or by moonlight if you know your way around (don't forget a flashlight). OR on an extremely rainy and/or cloudy day. It ain't easy- but they're there.