Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-29-2008, 10:04 AM

Default ELK this afternoon

Gonna sneak away from work and fish the elk until dark today. Any news??
Old 04-29-2008, 03:01 PM

Highpockets what up, yeah i just fished it for the better part of Sunday and did really well. For the short time that i fished i came away with 16, two which were nice browns before i had to leave. They took small buggers for me all day. Good luck tell me how it goes!
Old 04-29-2008, 09:45 PM

Default Elk

Highpockets, I fished the Elk last week and took a few on top with a Griffith's gnat. Not a bunch of risers, but they would come up. Also used a bhpt and did OK. Crowds were way down during the week. Safe journey, Monk
Old 04-29-2008, 11:33 PM

Highpockets, I second the bhpt. We fished last week and got several on the swing. Also had several on a para-adams. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:45 AM

Hey how did you do on the Elk?
Old 05-01-2008, 03:19 PM

Well, the water was still high by the time I got there but was going down at a good clip. I saw very few fish rising and the water was covered with what looked like mayfly's. The only fish I saw rising looked to be eating something else that wasn't visible while the mayflies floated past.

I missed one and caught one on a small (1 Yellow Cahill (dry).

My bro fishing with me caught one REALLY nice brown on a tiny wooly (reddish brown).

The water was down by the time we got ready to leave and they started rising some but i'll have to be honest; I had gotten so cold I couldn't stay in the water anymore!

Man, I need just one good day! I'm getting depressed
Old 05-02-2008, 04:04 PM

Default Elk

Highpockets, Your good day is coming just around the bend. In fact, walk past the bend and throw an BH orange tailed woolly bugger into the dark slow water. Let it sink and vary your retrieve. I think you will find a nice fish or so. If you are not familiar with that part of the Elk, just don't let the water come up on you. You will have to bushwhack it back up the ridge and to the road. Sure Knots, Monk
Old 05-02-2008, 04:17 PM

thanks, that is probably my favorite fly to fish and tie so I will. I don't fish up there much, matter of fact I haven't been in years, but I will give it a try. I usually go when very few poeple are around so I would be alone probably.

I have seen and experienced the water coming up before and it is scary. I use to work for a canoe outfitter ont eh elk for years and really enjoyed it. Allowed me to learn a lot about the river and is how I found the spots I fish now.

Ok, splitting hairs. I always try to cast slightly up stream and retrieve back with short pulls and then let the fly sweep up at the end just in case. Do you normally use weight or is your fly weighted. I have a friend in CO that guides that told me to fish an unweighted fly with an added weight because of how much more life-like the fly is. Especially one like a bugger that flows as it swims. Your thoughts??

I'm learning can you tell??
Old 05-02-2008, 08:30 PM

Default bugger weight

I weight almost all my bugger patterns. If you use a sink tip line you can get your flies down that way. They may look more natural. I do fine with weighted flies and a floating line 90% of the time. I vary the retrieve: twitches, long pulls especially at the end of the swing. I generally cast across and up a bit so the fly can sink. I have been using a lot of tandem rigs lately. For example a sz 6 black woolly bugger with a sz 18 bhpt trailer.

On weighted flies wait a second longer on your back cast. Seems to help. I also use painted eyes and beads for weight as well as wrapping weight on the fly. If the fly is extra heavy I will shorten up my leader a bit. I have had my best luck with olive buggers with a gold bead. I also like a smaller mohair leech with a black bead.

If the current is swifter I will cast a little more downstream to slow down the fly while often using a big upstream mend. I'm only speaking about what a fishing 'hack' does on the water. After 17 years of fly fishing and tying I've still got a lot to learn. Hope a good fish takes you deep into your backing. Monk
Old 05-05-2008, 01:54 PM

can't tell you how much I appreciate the info! I've cut and pasted it all!! ;-)