Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 05-06-2008, 10:46 AM

Default Bass & Bluegill Flies

I was playing around with some white materials to mock up something that resembled a minnow. (Paula, these are some of what I had in mind when I ordered the white materials last week).

These are the results. They are not the neatest flies I've ever tied but I was mainly looking for general "flavor" and will fish them a little. If some work, I'll tie up some better looking examples.

What do you think? Feedback welcome (can't improve without feedback right?)

Jeff
click on the thumbnails to see full size photo

Old 05-06-2008, 09:44 PM

The second fly, the one with the tinsel body and red metalic thread head proved to be a hot ticket on crappie and bluegill tonight. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me for the May one fish per month posting, but I caught about a dozen bluegill and three crappie on it before I had one snap my 6X tippet. I also caught several on the white woolie bugger in photo number one.

That tinsel fly is very easy to tie too. I could crank them out pretty quickly.

White Maribou for the tail
tie in some holographic tinsel and wrap about 2/3 way up the hook shank. Tie on some red metalic thread or red tinsel
wrap to make a head and tie off.

I tied a few with a lead wrap around the hook and some without. The lead is not needed. The ones without the weight sink very slowly and most of my fish came on the down drift.

Thought you guys and gals would like to hear the results.

Jeff
Old 05-06-2008, 11:04 PM

Hey Jeff, if I am recalling correctly you are somewhere in the greater Cincy area. Where were you fishing (in general, no need to divulge honey holes)? Are the bluegills moving toward beds yet? Were the blue gills the big bulls? I have a fly I tie with white flat foam and rubber legs. Basically, it is a spider-ish looking thing. I noticed last spring when I twitched it on top, not so much. But if I gave it little skips that took is just under the water, the bulls WOULD NOT leave it alone. I caught some out of my uncle's pond last spring that completely covered my spread out hand. If you're interested in seeing it I can try to get set up to post pictures.

No better way to catch blue gills than on a fly.....especially is you have to be at the pond while the kids are drowning worms.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:43 AM

Greg,
I was fishing at the lake at Camp Ernst in Boone County KY. It's on the YMCA camp property. Half of the bank is owned by the county and is open access to fishing.

About half of the bluegill were the big hump foreheaded bulls. Very dark with bright yellow bellies. I didn't see any beds but these fish were either spawn or very near spawn fish.

I saw some bass on the nest there last week but didn't see as much last night. The water was a little more cloudy this week due to the rains earlier so I couldn't see as deep.

There are a lot of fish in this particular lake. Other than carp and cats, I've never caught many really large fish but I can always count on catching a bunch of 12" bass and 7-9" bluegills. Also nice crappie when you happen to hit one of the roving schools. I don't target crappie but happen to luck into them once in a while.

I live about 10 minutes from the lake and get to fish it at least once a week and sometimes more often. It's more or less my home water. It is rare to see another fly fisherman there but from time to time, you do run into one. Mostly worms hanging under bobbers and guys with plastic worms and spinner baits.

In the summer, gold Rapala's are deadly along the shoreline just before dark.

Jeff

Jeff