Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-07-2008, 12:26 PM

Default Memorable Experience

I fished the Middle Prong this past Sunday with mediocre success but will end up being one my most memorable trips. I was struggling catching fish as the river seemed to be fishing more like early spring than late spring. However, things picked up close to dark and the memories came. First, I had returned to my car right above the second one lane bridge and heard something in the woods. I looked up and there was a wild hog moving through. Well, then I moved down stream below the first one lane bridge.

I was fishing one of my favorite stretches of water when what I thought was a large fish slammed something on the surface (at a 24" fish from the look of the dark back if not bigger). I decided to move back into the woods, tie on a bigger fly (bigger fly for bigger fish right), let things die down and re-fish the area. While I was tying on a size 8 stimulator, I heard another big splash that startled me. I looked up and a river otter jumped on a rock 5 feet from me! It was really cool. Unfortunately with the low light, my pictures didn't turn out weel. Still, a very memorable experience. I hadn't seen an otter up there yet. The otter followed me for the next 30 minutes up stream. It was crazy. It was fun to see that kind of wild life in the mountains.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:14 PM

What a night! Hey where exactly was that otter from Tremont Eniv. Camp? I have been trying to find one and have had no luck. The last time was about a 1/2 below the bridge.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:47 PM

Great story! I've only seen otters once and that was over on Abrams. Sure was a neat experience to have them come swimming downstream only a few feet away...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 05-07-2008, 05:25 PM

Years ago the Park reintroduced these cut ups back into the park along the little river...had been fishing above Elkmont for a week and on the way to Cades Cove had stopped to take the obligatory photo of Meigs Falls...as with all fishermen the first thing I did was to look into the water to check out fishing possibilities....at first I thought I saw the mother of all trout heading downstream and then up popped a pair of otters....it is amazing how they can navigate through the swift water up there.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

my funniest otter experience occured at long arm bridge....i was fishing...and not catching..i looked up and saw an otter with a fish in it's mouth on a rock....he was looking at me....really, i think laughing at me.....
Old 05-08-2008, 07:47 AM

Default Wildlife

I saw my first bear in the park about 1/4 mile below the gravel road on tremont. He wasn't very interested in me, but he definitely wasn't startled...just kind of watched me for a few seconds and moseyed off.

Hiking above elkmont a month a ago, one of the guys I was with was yelling about "the size of that trout", just before I had decided it was a big cafish, an otter with a fish tail hanging out of its mouth stuck his head up.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:42 AM

I was fishing on WPLP one afternoon just below where the trail from the Huskey Gap trailhead meets the river....looked up and saw a mother/daughter throwing rocks into the river and made a mental note to get out at the next opportunity and walk around them...just then I started cussing to myself as I saw what at first looked like a family dog running down the river bank in my direction....turned out to be a small bear....I had a 10 foot high bank on my right and the river on my left....just as I was getting ready to go swimming the bear saw me and took the bank in one leap....after watching that bear run and jump all ideas of ever running away from one of those suckers evaporated forever.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:16 AM

I was on fishing a run next to a rock wall just below the first one lane bridge (the really small one). It was really fun. The other great part was the last trout I caught Sunday was the best. It's always fun to end on a good note!

I've always heard with bears that unless they are on the hind legs only, you're pretty safe (although I don't want to find out first hand)!

Out west they say to wear bells to scare away the grizzlies. Since you don't have to worry about black bears but grizzlies, someone told me just to look at bear poop to determine if you are near a black bear or a grizzly bear. If you are wondering how to tell the difference in bear poop....grizzly bear poop has bells in it!