Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-08-2008, 07:58 AM

Default Articles

PeteCZ,

Thanks for the link to the articles. Very interesting reading.

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 05-08-2008, 02:49 PM

Default Learning experience

Pete CZ,

Thanks for the link. I have read most, but not all, WORK keeps getting in my way. But what I read is so interesting! One of the fish that came up, looked and turned away was hiding on the upper side of a big rock in the stream. Usually I throw below a rock into the pocket of quiet water. But this time the drift came right down to the upper side, which, according to the article, is a very good place to put a fly.

Thinking about it, I believe the fly was too big. I wanted to use a dropper and the fly I had on was not working, too small, I guess, to hold up with a dropper and pretty good current. So I changed to a big elk hair caddis that I knew would hold the nymph. Probably would have held a small cell phone. That may have been a mistake. Next time I will quietly change to a different fly and try the run again.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:31 PM

Starting in May I am usually fishing in shorts....but I don't guess what you are wearing the surprises in these waters amaze me....a couple of years ago my friend and I had fished the lower gorge section on Roaring Fork and had gotten to just below the last bridge....walking up the right hand side of the stream heading up current I stepped into what appeared to be a pocket of water about 3 inches deep....next thing I knew I was up to my waist in primordial muck....it was like I had stepped into a 50 gallon drum of decaying rot....gave my buddy a good laugh as I found the nearest plunge pool for an impromtu shower....