Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 05-08-2008, 09:26 AM

Default Yellow flies

What type and color of dubbing do you all use to get a yellow PA. I bought a couple from LRO while down this past weekend and the yellow dubbing in those flies is far from the yellow I have. I have two types, both Superfine, one is Pale Morning Dun (too light) and the other is a greenish yellow. I could use this on some other flies as well. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2008, 10:06 AM

The PA's that LRO sells in a yellow color are tied with a rabbit dub! There pretty darn buggy especially after being in a trouts mouth a time or two....They float pretty good too! There brand dub I think is Hareline! Hope that helps buddy!!! What color thread are you using to tie and are you sure it isn't a biot? Are you imitating a sulphur? I'm assuming you are after mentioning a PMD and the color yellow! If that's the case then tie with turkey biots and Superfine Sulphur Orange!

Good Luck!
~Brett
Old 05-08-2008, 10:09 AM

http://www.hareline.com/images/harelinejpegweb/HD.jpg

The yellow in that picture is the one I'm talking about! LRO carries it!
Old 05-08-2008, 10:23 AM

Default A couple different shades/textures

I use several different types/colors that I have been happy with.

- Antron Sparkle Dubbing in light yellow (from Wapsi @ LRO)
- Stalcups Micro Fine in sulpher yellow (from Hareline @ LRO - Like Brett mentioned)
- CDC feathers in light yellow (tied in by the tip at the bend of the hook and palmered forward. You can then trim the loose strands or leave'em and let it look leggy.
- Yellow Floss works well in some situations, as well as lt yellow antron yarn.

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 05-08-2008, 03:44 PM

Default Thanks!!!

Hey, thanks for the help on that fellas. Looks like I should have a couple of choices.

Brett - I was trying to tie the standard yellow PA that you buy at LRO. The problem was I was trying to do it from memory in Cincinnati and I just grabbed the two yellow dubbings the local flyshop had on the shelf. When I got down to LRO this past weekend I realized I was off on the the color (although I did land fish on the greenish yellow PA). I really wasn't trying to imitate an insect so much as a fly, if that makes sense.
I agree that after a fish or two the "buggyness" of the yellow PAs from LRO definitely increases. It almost makes me wander if they don't actually work a little better after a fish or two. A parachute by nature is supposed to ride low in the film, I just wander if after they get a little buggy they more resemble emergers or cripples. Just a thought.

Pete - thanks for chiming in as well. I have some floss that is the right color, but for some reason I don't like making mayfly bodies out of it. It's almost like the bodies are un-naturally neat. Man, I realize what a dork is sound like when I actually write out my thoughts. Anyway, for whatever reason, I like to use floss for the body of my stimulators. Pretty picky for a guy that barely knows what he is doing!!

Thanks again guys, I'll get some on order!!
Old 05-08-2008, 07:32 PM

Has anyone tried any of the Hi -vis parachute adams? Maybe hot pink, yellow or orange post? If so do they spook the fish? Some of us guys with older be-speckled eyes need all the help we can get!

Thanks
Hal
Old 05-08-2008, 07:57 PM

Default Hal!

Those fish don't care! I've had um eat a size 12 PA (yellow and adams gray) all day! The post color has no effect on fish on the South Holston or anywhere else I've seen! Unless your stalking a 24+ inch fish that's been caught a time or two, I'd say your safe! As a matter of fact I always buy or tie 6 flies of everything....I don't tie Parachute patterns, but when I buy em I purchase them in two different post colors! The reason being is that during twighlight the pink or bright orange has a better contrast on the water...Making you capable of staying on the water fishing dry, or dry dropper just a little longer!

~Brett