Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 05-06-2008, 05:13 PM

Smile Vermont/New Hampshire Fall 08

Planning a trip for Sept/October to NE. Any ideas for places to FF. Accomodations suggestions are needed. This will be a mullti-purpose trip in order of priority: 40th wedding anniversary, enjoying the leaf change etc. together, and FF. She doesn't fish but she loves me so I can on this trip. Somedays she accompanies me (especially in the Smokies) and reads, sketches or takes photos.
I want this to be special for her because she is special!
Old 05-07-2008, 09:20 PM

Howdy Nharrier,

I spent 2 weeks last summer in Vermont and New Hampshire. I'm no authority, but I did spend quite a bit of time fly fishing through those states. Send me an email (feathercaster@gmail.com) and I'll try to help out all I can.

Dude
Old 05-07-2008, 10:19 PM

If you are considering other potential NE states, I might recommend the Keene Valley area of the Adironadacks, NY. For my money, still the prettiest country in the US. Good fishing all around as well. Museums galore and more opportunities for your wife to sketch than she could ever want.

VT depending on where you go, you may want to shoot for the famed Battenkill River. I have never fished the VT side but have the NY side and have some foggy memories watching my Dad fish there as well. The NY section, while may not have a lot of fish, has quality fish. BIG BROWNS and brooks as well. Also, may want to hit the Orvis museum near Manchester.

Don't have anything on NH.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:57 AM

Thanks for the Keene Valley area recommendation. Judging from the web, You are right about its beauty! Any suggestions about FF shops, guides, rivers, places to stay? Is the AuSable heavily fished or is that a good choice?
txbrown, I sent an email. Let me know if Bill Gates interferred.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:27 AM

First off, congratulations on being married for 40 years. In VT, I'd recommend going to Manchester. If you're working with a nice size budget, stay in the equinox (google it). For a much cheaper, but equally charming experience, stay right down the road in a bed and breakfast in Arlington (home of Norman Rockwell). In Manchester, you can visit Orvis HQ and the fly fishing museum. The Battenkill is literally about a block from the main street, so you can fish for brookies while your wife enjoys all the nice shops in town.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:21 PM

http://ausablewulff.com/ausableriver.html

That is a local shop there that will get you all the info you would need. There are others as well. In Lake Placid nearby is an orvis shop, and in Lake George there is an Orvis Outlet. But the local shop would get the most local accurate info. I would imagine a weekday in the Sept Oct range would be okay as far as crowds. I have been there during this time and had plenty of room. School goes back in the Weds after Labor Day so that takes care of a lot of traffic during the week. Can't think of a particular B&B or anything but I am sure they are all over there. Guess growing up nearby there was never a need to stay anywhere other than campgrounds.

I took a guide out of that shop once and he was great. Doubt he is still there though. But Fran has made his life and living on that river. His daughter is more involved in the shop now. Fran has to be getting up in age.

Can't go wrong out there. Museums to check out would be Adirondack Museum/Blue Mtn Lake, The Wild/Tupper Lake, some others all around. Just an idea. Leafs usually peak in Early Late Oct up there depending on how much rain they get in summer and how soon the cold sets in.

VT is a good choice as well. Lots of great small town NE charm. Not Manchester but others. If you do go to that area and are looking for some neat things to see, not too far away in NY is Will Moses studio (Grandma Moses Grandson). Terrific artist. Your wife would probaly enjoy that. It is at Mt Nebo, Eagle Bridge. Real close to the NY section of the Battenkill.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:11 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the good suggestions! Think we would enjoy all of them. Sounds like Manchester may have lost some of its NE charm?
Will let you know as we make plans & report when we get back!