Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-10-2008, 04:58 PM

Default Defective rod

Ended up hitting the West Prong today for a quick fish after a great walk and picnic with the wife and baby. I was dying to try out my new 3wt I got from LRO. I'll be darned if the new rod isn't defective! I actually got skunked! Been a long time since I've had a total skunking; since I can't blame the weather today (absolutely gorgeous) I'll have to blame it on a defective new rod. I won't be returning it, however! Beautiful little 3wt from Temple Fork that casts like a dream.

Last edited by flydoc; 05-10-2008 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 05-10-2008, 09:52 PM

Default Sympathy

Flydoc,
I can sympathize. Went up for a quick trip this morning to Middle Prong. Only caught one. I'm blaming it on the high water. Problem was it was really depressing to come back home and see the Fishing Meter on Excellent. Bummer.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 05-10-2008, 10:05 PM

Default Defective TFO Rod - Part II

Flydoc and Charlie,

I had similar problems this evening above Tremont. I purchased a new 8'6" 3wt TFO Pro and only managed three small rainbows on a Yellow PA. I had expected the fishing to be better...

The new flyrod is even better than my 7'6" 3wt that I purchased last year. Its amazing how much extra line control you have by going up 12". The only time it seemed clumsier than the shorter rod was when I was climbing down embankments and moving in and out of trees on the banks. In the water it was great.

I need to take it up to Road Prong and see how it does up there...Charlie shoot me an email and let me know when you might be able to sneak out...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 05-10-2008, 10:24 PM

Flydoc,
Being the nice guy that I am, I just cannot let another fisherman use a defective rod. Just pack it up and mail it to me. I'll make the sacrifice and use that defective old rod. You just go ahead and buy a good rod from LRO and send that old defective one to me.

Some I'm so nice I surprise myself.

On the other hand, you may want to try it out a few dozen more times just to be sure, but, hey, if you think it's defective, send it to me.

Jeff
Old 05-10-2008, 11:29 PM

Flydoc, I did the exact same trip today with my family but a little bit later in the day. That stream is tough to cast on but I did manage to catch 2 rainbows. They were small; about what I would expect from that stream.

There was a guy who passed my dad on the way out who had fished from the road all the way up the West Prong to Campsite 18. He said he caught quite a few. Of course he had to have been fishing all day in order to make that climb...

I decided to exit the park via Gatlinburg and on the way down Little River road we pulled off on the shoulder right before the road to Elkmont. There was a huge hatch coming off. They were all over the water and the fish were rising. I couldn't tell what they were, just that they were yellow. I tied on a Parachute Adams and climbed down into the river. I got hits on almost every cast. I could only fish for about 15 min because it began to get too dark to see but I did squeeze a few nice fish out of my trip today.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:07 PM

Thanks for thinking about me, Jeff. I'm pretty sure I can fix the rod!
Old 05-11-2008, 02:32 PM

Default the best defective rod

the best defective rod i have ever had was one i bought off a guy needing cash(d-i-v-o-r-c-e)it was a 4 wt bamboo,it was a winston built by brackett himself--took it to abrams ----made casts that would make Brad Pitt blush--what a rod--caught no fish---the next day--tremont---a bright fall day--lro rated the fishing as excellent---everything was working---the rod felt just right--once again -was making casts that would have got me a date with Joan Wulff---no fish---that night-- someone stole the rod out of my truck--i was parked behind the Clarion in G'burg---losing that rod really bothered me until i read your thread---now i realize it was defective--and whoever got it
is by now hard-up for cash--will sell cheap--------
Old 05-12-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydoc View Post
Thanks for thinking about me, Jeff. I'm pretty sure I can fix the rod!
Flydoc,
If you ever do decide to give away that old broke rod, I'll volunteer to be the good guy and take it off your hands.

Hope you're very successful at fixing it the next time you're out.

Jeff