Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-13-2008, 11:01 PM

Default The Holston Twins

Finals ended for me last thursday, but I hung out school one more day so I could hit the S. Holston one more time before heading back for the summer. Of course I'll make a couple trips up this summer, but not as frequently as I fish it when I'm in school. I have to say the fish left me with a sour taste in my mouth. I fished webb bridge from two to five and only caught one small brown. I didn't see a lot of risers, and I didn't see any hatch worth noting. I guess that's just the way it is somedays. They out-smarted me this time. I took saturday and sunday off, and then headed to the holston below cherokee to redeem myself.

I'm beginning to like this river more and more everytime I fish it. After leftting the water fall, I headed out to fish any riffles/runs I could find with my trusty tailwater searching rig; indicator up high on leader, #6 split shot on 5x tied to brown san juan, 6x off the bend tied to a beadhead #18 beadhead pheasant tail. I fished a couple runs to no avail, and got hung up a couple times and frustrated. I moved across the river to fish a run that probably 30 yards long. I came into the top of the run and hooked a fish immediately. Lost it. Threw back in and hooked another. Lost it. Dang. I began thinking I may be on to something and I should approach this run the right way. So I headed down to the very bottom and began fishing upstream into the run. I don't know how many fish I caught by the time I finally made it back up to the top, but it was consistent throghout the run. These were all strong bows too, just about everyone took some line, and a couple had me chasing them downstream. I landed one, 16" bow, and I lost the other that made long runs. I lost a lot fish as they would all want to leap two or three times during the fight despite my best efforts to keep them down. I lost a lot of fish that day, but I still had a great day. I finished the day sight fishing wooly buggers for fish chillin' in a semi-deep pool. I got a lot of chases and caught two. It's always fun seeing them turn and follow streamers like that.

I wish I had some pictures I could post up, but my camera has mysteriously stopped focusing. I don't know what the deal is, but I'm gonna send it back in.

Ben
Old 05-13-2008, 11:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to JimmyC
Default No, no

The Holston is a horrible river, no trout anywhere! I wouldn't reccommend anyone fish anywhere on this river!

However, someone I know has a secret there
Old 05-14-2008, 12:26 AM

Did I say Holston? Geez, I'm sorry, my bad. I meant Pholston. It's just outside of memphis. Anyone looking to fish the holston should just head there instead. The holston is awful. I'd rather fish in a gutter. Even if you do find a fish in that river, its eating #32 midge adults native only to that river, so you definately don't have it in your box.

That last part can seem to be true sometimes.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to JimmyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by milligan trout degree View Post

That last part can seem to be true sometimes.

You're not kidding.