Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-09-2008, 09:40 AM

Vern,
You and I need to play sometime. I once hit a squirrel with a sand wedge from 100 yards. I was trying to hit the ball over the tree in front of me and I hit a squirrel about half way up the tree. He fell off the branch, crashed to the ground then climbed back up the tree like his tail was on fire. Don't know if i really hurt him or not.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:57 PM

It wasn't with a fly rod, but I've got claims on a Pelican. I was surf fishing with my grandfather back home on the Alabama coast. I had just made a cast and was watch the line and this group of pelicans came cruise the beach line right above the water. The next thing I know is my rod bowed over and the bird hit the water and he didn't just hit it, he got wrapped up in it from flopping around. It took me and my grandfather about 20 minutes to get it off and I lost count of how many times I got bit.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:15 PM

I almost hooked a bat when I was a kid. I was standing next to my brother, fishing a deep pool while camping back in the mountains. It just after noon, and we were suprised to see a bat at all. We were even more suprised when he started making dives at my Hopper when I made false casts. He hit my fly several times, but never got hooked. I think he may have been rabid. Not only was he out in the middle of the day, but he was flying pretty erratically, too.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:39 PM

Never know what is going to happen when nature steps in....late one afternoon on Tremont above the Institute my best friend was false casting an EHC and as he laid out his line upstream a huge dragonfly snatched his fly in midair and headed up stream....virtual "fly" fishing....
Old 05-12-2008, 03:46 PM

I wasn't going to respond but after reading the posts I figured it was ok. I caught a Bat at Citico creek making false casts. That thing went crazy after being hooked. The best fight I have ever got on a flyrod. LOL. It took me almost 10 minutes to get him in. He also tangled the line about 6 times. He was quite mad. I ended up letting him have the fly (because I didn't want to get bit).

I have also caught a small Turtle at Abrams creek campground on a dry. No kidding. He took it off the top just like a trout. I also caught a large crawlfish that wouldn't let go of my nymph.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:36 AM

The thing with the Duck wouldn't have bothered me so much if there weren't a crowd of people looking on and growing by the minute. I was getting a little panicky about it, and you know if it hadda been a nice fish my tippet or leader would have broken at any time but nooooo, that's the strongest 5X I've ever bought!! It held a Duck for what seemed like 20 minutes!
By the way, for those wondering, Mallards really go for a Copper John fished about 12" under a Yellow stimulator. And carry a good strong 4wt. with a little backbone to it, I had just bought my TFO Finesse from LRO a couple days before that fiasco. Next time I'm thinking of carrying my Lab with me fishing.--Bran
Old 05-15-2008, 03:39 PM

LOL....The duck catch and a crowd no less...Man I bet that was eventful to say the least!

Tourist:
KID: Mommy whats that man doing to that Duck.
Mother: I don't know honey, should someone call a park ranger?

That alone would have been reason enough to call it a day!

Last edited by tngreg; 05-15-2008 at 03:59 PM..
Old 05-16-2008, 07:34 AM

It definately sounds like a Patrick McManus story doesn't it? Wish I had made that up
Old 05-16-2008, 07:50 PM

I caught my future father in-law by his ear with a bass popper...I am happy to report I am still married for 21 years! He was happy to know his future son in law "could snag such a large beautiful creature." LOL
Old 05-18-2008, 07:36 PM

Default Seagull and a cat here

Caught a Seagull with a #4 EP Bunker Minnow in Buras La. while Red Fishing.... The Guide made me throw him back though.

Caught the neighbors calico while practice casting into the gaps between the hedges in my front yard...he pouced onto the yarn I had tied on and got a claw hung into it...glad I had the drag set on the 8wt...otherwise he'd been into the backing before I got him stopped.