Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-06-2008, 08:13 AM

The hog trap is still there at Little River trail and Husky Gap. It's up the Little River trail a little ways from Husky Gap trail.

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 05-06-2008, 12:00 PM

Cant hunt em in the park though, which is where most of them are. They have hired assasins that do that
Old 05-17-2008, 03:46 PM

There's also a trap on Bradley F. Trail about 1/4 mile in from the campground at Smokemont. Never see anything in it though. I've seen the signs of hogs for years along streams and valley bottoms where the dirt is soft and there's good habitat for grubs, beetles, worms, etc. In the past few years, the signs of their presence seems to be growing, imho.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:28 PM

I have seen them in every watershed I have fished in the park, and on the AT as well. The Derick Knob and Spence Field area has quite a few.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:43 PM

As you can see I hunt and fish. I have hunted hogs by every legal means in the state of TN and it's always an adrinaline rush when you see one. I have walked up many hogs and only once been charged. I was unarmed and it was 1 day before season and walked up on a sow and her weeks old brood and a very large boar (which is uncommon) when they caught my wind the boar left the country but the sow made a charge but pulled up short (less than 20 feet). It rattled me alittle to say the least. Some say hogs have poor eye sight but they have picked me out in a treestand in full camo. Their nose on the other hand is their best attribute. As hunters we're always watching the way of the wind and in the predawn hours with the wind in our face it's not uncommon to have the begezzers scared out of you when a hog bursts from the brush at 20 yards.
Hogs are making a come back in areas that are hunted threw out the year. I have hundreds of pictures of hogs caught on my game camera in two months of scouting and in less than 1 week they were gone to parts unknown after they had either destoryed or exhausted all the available food in that area.
Alot of people are against hunting animals and even more so with dogs but I will tell you (studies show this as well) the best way to decline a hog population is with the aid of dogs. The state of TN however only allows this method of hunting in a few short weeks each year.These animals can and most of the time do outrun the best dogs but if or when the dogs catch up to them let me assure you they aren't the neighborhood cat scared out of his wits. They stand and fight, bite, slash, and cut anything that's not quick enough to move out of their way.
Okay done with the prohunting speach. The park uses these "hired assanins" because #1 it's illegal to hunt inside the park (unless your an employee) and #2 their kill ratio is so high. Could you imagine the outcry of animal cruelty the park would have if 1 hog was spotted in the daylight hours in Cades Cove with a wound caused by a bad shot. I could. #3 They can work at night inside the park with the aid of night vision.

Oh and hog hair does make for an AWESOME smallmouth jig.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5
Default hogs

I would just as well see every hog shot, poisoned, trapped, snared, chased, dogged, and whatever else as to see some of their aftermath. Check out Balsam Mountain Road to see how quickly they can ruin a beautiful stretch of road.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:50 AM

Default backyard piggies

We have them in our backyard. These were taken with the trail cam I put up on our property. It was maybe 300 yards from the house. We have tried to hunt them but haven't got them in a good position for a clean shot yet. We haven't seen them in the daytime yet, only at night. We'll have to shoot with a shotgun and slug because it's too close around here to other neighbors so it's been tricky getting them.

- Herbert Hoover, devoted angler and thirty-first President of the United States.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:43 AM

I would like to see them barbecued on a plate
Old 05-20-2008, 01:07 AM

those suckers are a lot of fun to hunt. I lived in Hawaii, and they are really a pest out there on multiple levels. They uproot a lot of native plants, cause erosion, which, to a certain degree, runs off and is a contributor to the degradation of coral reefs. I've hunted them on the big island, on the slopes of mauna kea, where it's very expansive and you can see for miles. They can be so far away that they look like a little black dot in the distance, but if you get up-wind from them, they can smell you and will take off. It's pretty wild.

The best way to hunt them in a place like the park is definitely with dogs and I'd be more than happy to help. Get some good sausage out of it for sure