Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-20-2008, 09:15 AM

Default Rookie request

I have been fly fishing for about a year now, primarily on Elkhorn Creek in Central Kentucky. I am going to be in the Smokeys for the holiday weekend and would like to try some trout fishing while there. Any suggestions on good places to go that will not be too crowded given the holiday crowds? Thanks!
Old 05-20-2008, 09:28 AM

Default Break out the hiking boots

I think most of the folks here will tell you about the same thing: the farther you hike, the more solitude you will find and the easier the fishing will be, especially for someone just starting out.

Hike a few miles up the Little River Trail above Elkmont Campground, or Deep Creek Trail above the Deep Creek Campground and the fishing should be great. You could also try some of the spots along the WPLP or Roaring Fork, if you don't want to hike too far.

Don't be afraid of the crowds, 99% of the visitors to the park, don't ever venture more than 10 feet from their cars. The traffic may be a pain, but once you are out of the car and hit the trail, you can quickly get away.

That being said, the Little River Trail would still have quite a few folks out walking/hiking, but once you've traveled a few miles up the trail there are few fishermen/fisherwomen in the water.

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 05-20-2008, 09:36 AM

petecz said it all. pick a trail and start walking. it seems like the holiday weekends would be crowded, but in my experiences they haven't been much different than any other weekend (as far as fishing pressure goes). just get yourself a map and pick out a place that looks interesting and go for it. good luck.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:56 AM

Default Thanks!

I appreciate the advice. I love to hike so I can combine the two. I have the map and have marked the places you guys mentioned.

Thanks again!
Old 05-20-2008, 12:05 PM

Lynn,

I just read your report and noticed your location, I work in the Transportation building in Frankfort and was going to be fishing the Park this weekend. Would be interested in talking and sharing information.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:27 PM

Howdy Lynn,

How has Elkhorn been fishing? I have a friend that guides it and was suppose to get away with him a couple weeks ago but couldn't get the time. I agree its best to get up the trails a bit and you'll find some unmolested water.

Dude
Old 05-20-2008, 11:23 PM

Default Eklhorn

I haven't been to the Elkhorn as often this spring as I would like. With all of the rain it has been out of the banks quite often. The last time I went to my favorite place it was really high and really fast; I didn't catch a thing. I like to go in behind the fish hatchery near Peaks Mill. I have caught some really nice smallmouth bass there. Gotta watch those kayaks and canoes, though. They are loving the fast water.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:29 PM

Hey, Mac,

You work in the nice office building, huh? :-) I am over at Fair Oaks next to Buffalo Trace Distillery. If you go to kyinnocenceproject.org you will see my contact info. "Lyon" is a nickname.