Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-20-2008, 04:43 PM

Default Clinch 5/19

Got out to the Clinch for the evening. We fished from about 5pm until about 8:30p. Both of us caught about a dozen and half apiece. Of the 15-16 fish I landed, about 4-5 of those were in the slot. I LDR'd my biggest airborne after the hookup. Seagull landed a 16" bow on a comparadun. There was a small but steady rise throughout the later hours. Initially fish on nymphs, then we both switched over to dries. I had taken my pliers off my vest and did not have them to remove flies or pinch down barbs so needless to say I bit off about 6-7 nice comparaduns that were hooked within their mouths. Oh well, good thing I tie! Flies appeared to still be the larger E. invaria, so maybe we will still get some E. dorthea for a few more weeks?

Old 05-20-2008, 05:17 PM

Default Fly difference

Hey Flat,
I have noticed a couple different types of sulfurs recently while there. Some are are darker yellow, almost orange, with big red eyes, and the others are just a medium yellow with little black eyes. Both have been around a #16 or so, could that be a mix of both invaria and dorothea?

Thanks for the report, I hope to get out again this week.

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 05-20-2008, 08:56 PM

Default "you say potatoe, I say....."

ChemE.
I have always seen the dorthea described as the one with the big orange eyes and sized at a #16-18. The invaria is #14-16. The skinny is that they are both called sulphurs in the east and PMD's(pale morning duns) in the west.

Wonder if they taste different? LOL

BTW, it is sooo much fun to watch a fish come up, follow your fly for about 6-8", and then just sip it. I love this time of year on that river.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:02 PM

Default Sulfur time

ChemE, Can't say for sure but I think the male bugs have the red eyes. Don't know if that is true with with Dorthea's boys. You wouldn't want the red thread head when fishing the spinner fall.

FlatFlyN, You always seem to be into good fish. Hope to be on the Clinch Friday afternoon. Maybe I'll bump into y'all. Sure Knots, Mike
Old 05-21-2008, 07:12 AM

Reckon those big eyes on the boys are for looking at the girls!

After 28 years of only flyfishing or anything else for that matter you had better be good at it. I have also fished the Clinch since 1986, and that helps alot. One of my buddies claims I sold my soul. Couple of things I think help. I don't backcast more than twice EVER, mostly once, and I try never to false cast OVER the fish or area I am going to target my cast to. I read water really well, as in I treat a big river like a small stream. I don't waste time fishing were there are no fish, or they are not biting in that area, so I have confidence in my flies. Fishing moving water, weight and lots of it. For flat water, leaders no less than 15-16 feet. Simple rules I fish by.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:07 AM

Flat has also uttered the words 'Please don't make me use the bugger" in desperation. He IS a great fly fisherman, but has been known to fish "too deep and on the wrong side"
Old 05-21-2008, 01:15 PM

Default bugger boy

The only person I have to worry about keeping up with on most occations!

"Too deep" is a great story from our old friend in ME. that told a story of the guy at the local gas station. When he ask Larry how smelting had been on a certain creek, Larry said slow. Bob the owner replied, "well, your obviously fishing too deep and on the wrong side". Larry shot back, "have you ever fished that creek", of which Bob admitted......."well, no actually"

Picture from Noneya River, in western ME. of Larry and a 20" brookie. (would be nice to eventually think these are in the Clinch). The greatest fisherman I know outside of "The seagull". BTW. Seagull got named one day in ME again when Larry claimed that D.C. was catching so many fish he was like a "D--n Seagull"