Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-28-2008, 11:25 AM

I have caught rainbows and brookies from Walker Prong confluence up to the third bridge. Above the third bridge all the way to the top I have not caught rainbows...just brookies. I asked Matt Kulp at the NPS about it and he indictated that it would be difficult for rainbows to make their way above the third bridge since there is a waterfall large enough to prevent the migration. In fact I do not see how they could get above the trough between bridge two and three (by the way...there is a beautiful pool just above that trough). I began fishing the Walker Prong and tributaries the week the NPS opened them about three or four years ago. Walker Prong kinda fizzles out a hundred yards or so above the 441 brdige where Walker Prong passes under the road.

Jeff
Old 05-28-2008, 02:01 PM

Jeff,

Thanks for all the good info, I was wondering where the rainbows stopped showing up on RP...I'm definitely going to try and explore that stream next week for at least a day, I'll post a report afterwards!

Iain
Old 05-28-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday View Post
I have caught rainbows and brookies from Walker Prong confluence up to the third bridge. Above the third bridge all the way to the top I have not caught rainbows...just brookies. I asked Matt Kulp at the NPS about it and he indictated that it would be difficult for rainbows to make their way above the third bridge since there is a waterfall large enough to prevent the migration. In fact I do not see how they could get above the trough between bridge two and three (by the way...there is a beautiful pool just above that trough). I began fishing the Walker Prong and tributaries the week the NPS opened them about three or four years ago. Walker Prong kinda fizzles out a hundred yards or so above the 441 brdige where Walker Prong passes under the road.

Jeff
My son almost floated his hat in that pool last summer

Didn't catch a lot of fish but we had fun (and he got pretty wet when he fell in..

We caught some 'bows under one of those bridges where 441 crosses the stream. If forget which one it was. It was up past the chimney tops trail head.

Jeff