Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-28-2008, 01:32 AM

Default Greenbriar tomorrow

Hello all,

Going up to Greenbriar tomorrow. That is always one of my absolute favorite spots to fish. Maybe it is the remoteness of it, maybe it is the crystalline pools in bewteen those monsterous boulders, or heck, maybe it is the fiesty brookies that live there. Last August I caught my personal daily record up there of 27 (16 brookies). That was in 6 hours. Felt like everything that I threw out was getting them in. I had never done that well. Elk-hair caddis with a BH Pheasant Tail dropper. It was like prime rib! Hope that rig works tomorrow. I will repost and let you all know how it went.

This is the time of year that I love being a teacher!!
Old 05-28-2008, 03:31 AM

Good Luck. Hope you get into em
Old 05-28-2008, 10:24 AM

Sounds like you ventured into the gorge above the foot bridge heading to Ramsey....saying those boulders are monsterous is being awfully kind and generous.....
Old 05-30-2008, 12:05 AM

Default Greenbriar was quite good

Caught 10 good sized bows and brookies. Had several others on the line, but couldn't bring to hand. Funny pattern I noticed. All the bows were caught on the BH Pheasant Tail dropper, and all the brookies got the para adams dry on the surface. Fits with the differences in the fish, but I have never had it actually play out like that.
Water was good and clear. Used a para adams and PHpt dropper almost all day, until switching to an Elk-hair caddis w/ the same dropper. Both worked well until about 7:00 when the fish just didn't want it anymore. They were still feeding, but not on what I had on the line. All in all was a good day.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:35 AM

Did you have any thoughts on what they were feeding on around 7:00pm?
Old 05-30-2008, 08:17 AM

Todd,

wondering if you can give me an Idea how far up you went before you started fishing. Did you go up to the Ramsey trail?
Old 05-30-2008, 12:24 PM

I went up a good ways. I went until you saw the sign that says "Ramsey Cascade 2.5" The stream was right beside the trail, and went in there. Fished that area a while, then fished various spots on the way back down. Then fished the area below the parking lot at Ramseys up to the footbridge.

As for what they were feeding on I don't know. They didn't want my Caddis, and I put on a Sulphur and several rose to it, got a few strikes, but they spit it out before I could hook em. Still don't think that I had the right fly on. That is an area where I pretty much stink, and need to improve. I need to be able to see what is hatching and match it, but stink at it right now.

Best of Luck to you all.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:03 PM

When I was in college you could drive all the way up to where the sign is that you mentioned....if you look carefully you can see this area was a turnaround with places to park....in late summer I use to have really good fishing up there with a Fanwing Royal Coachman....in late Sept./early Oct. I have used an EHC or PAdams up there with some success....the EHC fishes well during this time all the way back down to Porter's Creek and up that water a good ways...another fly that has worked for me over there has been a lime trude in a #12/14
Old 05-30-2008, 05:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

the 1.5 marker is the end of the old jeep road and lead to the trail to the greenbrier firetower on the pinnacle. the trail is still visible, but has about 50 blow downs on it and the top of the pinnacle is thick with rhodies.