Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-05-2008, 08:31 AM

Default Cataloochee and the Fibertouch

Hey Guys,
Fished Cataloochee over the weekend and into Monday; great fishing. Hiked up a trib for brookies, too. A few bugs were out, but nothing really in force while we were there. Caught some pretty nice browns on top which is always fun. The elk are in velvet, turkeys everywhere, and trout on dry flies...does it get any better. Largest was around 12" or so, but there we a few in that range so all is good.

Fished the Scott fiberglass rod 7' 3wt the entire time. I've not fished this rod in some time (they send me way too many toys to play with). I can promise I'll be fishing it more now. Those rods are just made for small streams. I will say that it does take a bit of getting used to. My buddy and I were switching back and forth with his Sage TXL (another cool small stream stick). Ya had to take the power away from the Scott F-series or tailing loops would just appear out of nowhere LOL

Yellow Sallies were coming off, so we pretty much cast those all day. If the fish were not coming up already, a good drift over likely spots would bring them to the surface.

Great trip!

James