Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-04-2008, 03:32 PM

Default Elk 6/4 - First Trout Ever!

I took my 11 year old fishing at the Elk this morning. The last time he went with me was February of 2007, when he promptly took a bath in 30 degree weather. This time was MUCH better.

The state apparently stocked yesterday, and my son caught his first trout ever. We arrived about 7:30 and I rigged up a size 18 olive hares ear. He has some experience casting in the back yard, so he cast the fly himself. While I was tying on my own fly he caught a nice 10-11" rainbow. I tied on a size 18 BWO and had moderate success with that, mostly 5" browns newly stocked.

Soon, it became apparent that most fish were hitting my son's strike indicator. So, I tied on a size 12 caddis and we started lighting them up while taking turns with one rod. We caught and released 20 fish in 3 hours. All remaining fish were newly stocked browns from 5 to 8". For about 30 min, we were getting a strike on every cast.

We moved down river looking for something of bigger size. We wound up at the turn hole and fished san juan worms with moderate success. We caught 7 more rainbows, the largest being around 10". I saw one rainbow that probably went 18" and around 2 pounds, but he wasn't interested. I also saw a big bass (probably 3-4 pounds) cruising around in the still water on the left side of the sand bar.

My son had an incredible time and has already reminded me that he outfished me 14 to 13.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:42 PM

That is probably one of the few times in life that you enjoyed being beaten in the numbers game and reminded of it.

Way to beat dad.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:07 PM

Sounds like a great day! Thanks for the report! We are planning on heading up there next week.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5
Default hmm

I didn't think they stocked fish 5", perhaps you caught some wild browns
Old 06-05-2008, 05:14 PM

Default First Trout....

That is awesome Robert.

I bet you were on cloud nine. I know I would be. I look forward to the day my Daughters catch their first on a fly rod, if and when they are willing.

My 4 year old keep telling me when she gets bigger she can fly ties. LOL...

To bad he didn't stick that 2 lb'r. That would have been a site to see I bet.

Great memories you are making for sure, ones I am sure you will never forget.

Again, congrats to you and your son.

Petey