Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-06-2008, 11:41 PM

Default 5/31-6/6 report.

5/31-6/6 well I have been up here for a week and only fished for about 6 hrs total. My brother and his family met us up here so I was a good boy and did the family thing. I have to admit that I had a really good time, even did Dollywood. My brother had 6 Bypasses last year so we took it easy all week. He likes small mouth fishing so we started below Metcafe Bottoms. He caught one small brown, and I caught 3 of the smallest rainbows i have ever seen. jus a little bigger than my pinkie. We ended up in Townsend at a hamburger at the apple Valley. That evening I decided to head out on my own, couldn't get Gaintfish to come with me, and went to the first Quite Walk going up toward Newfound Gap. If was around 8:00 before I got there (very large bear and I had a stare down at the chalet trash can. Got out of the truck to clean up the trash cage not thinking the bear could still be around, Look up 20 feet in the woods and saw the most well feed bear i have seen in the 18yrs I have been coming up here. After much yelling and banging on the truck he finally left. I was still looking over my shoulder the whole time i was cleaning up. Back to fishing, tied on one of the LRO foam never sinks and was blessed with one nice Rainbow and three small one and several missed. some of the best 45min of fishing i have had in a long time. Took the family on a hike up road prong to day, see post under road prong, then decided to try the WPLP again, storms all around so I didn't there untill 8:15 lost two right off then it got very dark fast. no rain but had to use my head lamp to get out. For some reason my computer won't read my new 4gig sd card. After I get home I will post some pictures. Steam flows are already starting to look low. I may have to wait untiill fall to come back up.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:38 AM

Vern,

Good to hear that you made it back to the Smokies. I've been wondering from time to time lately how Giantfish's career investigation is going. He seems like a good kid and I hope he always dreams big.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 06-07-2008, 03:34 PM

I wouldn't let the water levels scare you off...I doubt they could get any worse than last year, and there are a lot of streams that seem to hold their levels well. I found no shortage of water last week - in fact, in some instances, there was almost too much.