Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 06-08-2008, 03:07 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher
Default N.C. trout 6/8/08

Went out today with my friend Jim. We fished a relatively untouched piece of water that we've been planning on for a while. Due to the heat we left the house at 5:30 a.m. and were in the water at 7:00. I tied on my newly purchased green weenies from LRO. On the second cast Jim caught a nice 7" bow to get the day off to a good start. We ended up fishing for about 5 hours. We brought about 12-15 fish to hand in all, but missed many more. Jim had a fish on that we never saw, but felt confident it was the best fish hooked all day. I managed to catch a few browns in the 10" range that had incredible colors, and one rainbow in the 8-9" range. Part way through the day Jim switched to a rubber legged copper john and caught several with that. I also switched part way to a foam ant that the fish seemed to like quite a bit more than the green weenie. We probably covered about a mile of stream and didn't see another fisherman the entire time.

A few of the nicer browns caught today:

One of the victims of Jim's rubber legged copper john.

The biggest rainbow I managed. This fish attacked the ant with reckless abandon.

We don't have photographic evidence of some of Jim's nicer rainbows b/c the slipped out of hand before I could snap a picture, but they really do exist. Despite the heat it was a great day on the water and the fish were pretty willing to eat. We definitely need rain b/c the water was low and pretty warm. I don't carry a thermometer, but it had to be mid to high sixties. There will be more reports to follow b/c we spotted a rainbow in the 20-22" range that we couldn't get, but we will be going back to try get that fish again. This fish took a long look at Jim's green weenie, but decided to leave it alone.

Matt
Old 06-09-2008, 06:20 AM

Sounds like a great trip, there are alot of great streams in that area that no on even thinks about going to thanks to the big d. We really need to go sometime, shoot me an email sometime.

Craig