Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-08-2008, 10:59 PM

Default Lynn Camp

The fishing at Lynn Camp Prong was good this morning. My brother and I took 27 Rainbows between us. The last spot we fished I caught a small Brookie. The Brook was only 4 or 5 inches. We caught a couple of fish around 8 inches. The rest of the fish were between 4 to 7 inches. I hooked fish on a Adam and a Pheasant Tail Nymph as a dropper. My brother took his fish on a Adam also. The flies ranged between a 10 to 14 in size.
At the end of the day when we checked our fish in there was a fellow in front of us who had 50 fish in his creel. He told us he caught his fish on small black nymphs and small stone flies. This guy had some nice fish, several in the 7 to 8 inch range. He also stated the reason he caught these fish was due to getting in front of us.
Other than the guy at the check in tent we seen a couple of people fishing and a couple of others on their way up the creek to start fishing. I thought that this creek would have more people fishing.
All in all we had a great day of fishing.
Also, I would like to thank the people for the info on the one day permit.
Thanks...

Bill

May God Bless You...
Old 06-09-2008, 02:24 AM

Redneck fools
Old 06-09-2008, 01:05 PM

Good day for fishing behind someone, glad they didn't have lockjaw. That is a good fishery and should be an even better one once it's a all spec stream.

By the way Lee, what was all that about??

Craig
Old 06-09-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman2888 View Post
Good day for fishing behind someone, glad they didn't have lockjaw. That is a good fishery and should be an even better one once it's a all spec stream.

By the way Lee, what was all that about??

Craig
I'll hazard a guess - perhaps it was directed at the "huddled masses" heading upstream, zebco in hand. Last week, when we were leaving, there was a whole truckload of young guys, definitely not dressed in "subdued" clothes. I think it is just the nature of our sport to feel more than a twinge of superiority, perhaps even snobbishness - after all, just the fact that we choose to fish this way implies a greater effort expended. However, I temper such thoughts with: 1. They have as much right to fish these streams, provided they follow the rules and 2. They probably won't catch anything, anyway, given their gear is probably way too heavy. The skitterishness of these wild fish is a great equalizer.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

Comments like that should be kept to yourself. Nothing was ever stated about a spinning rod or bait fishing, or anything else.....perhaps it was directed at the total of fish that were kept but maybe they need to read a bit and see there is no creel limit on rainbows...you never know when "redneck fools" are going to give you 15 or 20 flies and put you on some great fishing....Ask a couple guys from Kentucky that ended a week long trip into Cataloochee on a great note because of those "redneck fools" that were camping next to them
Old 06-09-2008, 05:39 PM

That's why I said it was a guess...We participated in the first day of the fishout, and I had never seen so many spincast rigs in the park before - again, they have as much right to the water as me, but I couldn't help thinking they were going to have a tough time catching anything with 12lb test.

Frankly, the whole experience was a little strange for me. I don't mind keeping a few fish for the table, but it felt a bit uncomfortable knowing I had to dispatch a 4inch fish, that I had no choice. I'm glad it isn't an everyday situation.

Also, if I was fishing Cosby, or one of the other streams I frequent, and I saw an old-timer with a long cane pole, I would probably follow him to learn some pointers; I've heard that some locals can be deadly with a cane pole and a fly.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:58 PM

Yeah I understand, it wasn't directed at your comments. The looks I got from some of the spinning rod snipers when i busted out my fly tying box and clamped it on a picnic table were priceless...
Old 06-09-2008, 06:08 PM

Oh, I know...just wasn't sure if people understood that I was skewering my own built-in biases and attitudes...as tired as I was at the end of the day, I noticed that was the first reaction I felt - that of snobbishness....which is totally uncalled for, considering that I have no qualms about reaching for a spinning rig when I'm out in the marsh fishing for reds.

I show people down here the flies I use up in the mountains, and they're amazed that anything would strike something so small and fragile. Put them in their proper settings, on the stream, and they fit perfectly.

I have a feeling that the fishout won't really have much of an impact; I read the white paper on Sams Creek, and the figures are similar to the fishout conducted there 6 years ago. There's just too many fish that won't even be touched by this.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:05 PM

yeah but it is great to see the effort getting put in to not let these little suckers go to waste...I'd love to see the tank they are going to hold all of these brook in until they get finished poisoning
Old 06-09-2008, 09:46 PM

Default Response

Thanks for the support. Remarks like the one that was posted early does not bother me. By the way IJ South- I know a couple of old timers who do fish with a cane pole. They can really fish. The people at the check-in tent told us "they wished more people would have turned out to fish and took advantage of the no limit rule. Because they were going to kill alot of fish..." I want to say that the guy who caught the 50 fish in the park has to be a very good angler. I do not know many people who could do that.