Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-13-2008, 07:04 PM

Default Caney Fork report 5/13/08

I got there at a little before 9 when they stopped generating, and today was the slowest day of fishing I've ever had at the Caney. I started off with my fly rod (I'm a huge noob to fly fishing) and managed to snap the leader (at least 18 year old line and leader, probably not my fault), so I had to switch over to my spin rod. I tried everything- worms, powerbait, rooster tails, and other spinners- not a bite, or even a flash. Fish were jumping everywhere, but the entire time I was below the dam I saw 2 fish caught. I went to a shop on the way down the mountain and picked up a new leader, 7.5' which seemed to be too long for my liking. I proceeded to head to the rest area exit and fished behind there, I kept catching weeds with my fly rod or slapping the water with the fly, so I again switched to my spin rod. I did manage 2 browns and 2 brookies off a brown rooster tail, but they were all about 6 inches. I saw a 18"+ trout swimming, I brought my rooster tail in front of its face a few times and it didn't even bat a fin. What a day... And to top it off, my waders were dry rotted and started to spring a steady drip leak that was beyond annoying.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:39 PM

I wish I had known you were there today. We floated by you and the other 68 people below the dam in a red Rogue canoe. The fish were jumping around splashing everywhere because of the long truck ride from the hatchery. The fish got there right before you did.

I understand it is tough starting out and not knowing all the answers. Over time, with a little help along the way, some of the pieces of the puzzles start fitting together.

Curtis

Old 06-13-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtyman View Post
I wish I had known you were there today. We floated by you and the other 68 people below the dam in a red Rogue canoe. The fish were jumping around splashing everywhere because of the long truck ride from the hatchery. The fish got there right before you did.

I understand it is tough starting out and not knowing all the answers. Over time, with a little help along the way, some of the pieces of the puzzles start fitting together.

Curtis
Ah that would make sense. I would think they would be feeding like crazy, but I guess not. I was standing in thigh waders with a white longsleeve, WV hat and Oakleys. My girlfriend was sitting on the bank behind me in a fold out chair, I remember a canoe, were you floating down the stream and then going back up towards the dam?
Old 06-14-2008, 08:07 AM

Default Caney 5/13

I fished on Friday downstream of the dam a couple miles. Browns, bows and brooks, on buggers, zebra midges, and brassie soft hackle. a small weighted black leech pattern also produced. Most fish in the 11-13" range. A little walk got you away from the crowd. I bet this weekend could look like the Atlantic City boardwalk.

Worr.. Fly fishing takes a commitment of time. Stay with your fly rod. Practice your knots at home so you can get on the river ready to fish. Old, cheap or worn out equipment is like overhauling your engine with the same kind of tools. You might get it done, but it is a huge hassle. Decent line will vastly improve your fishing time. Today there are good rods for around $100. Good basic reels for $50. Decent line will cost $50 or more. A hand full of woolly buggers,BHPT(bead head pheasant tail) and a few other flies and you are ready to fish. Hang in there.

Sure Knots, Monktrout
Old 06-14-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monktrout View Post
I fished on Friday downstream of the dam a couple miles. Browns, bows and brooks, on buggers, zebra midges, and brassie soft hackle. a small weighted black leech pattern also produced. Most fish in the 11-13" range. A little walk got you away from the crowd. I bet this weekend could look like the Atlantic City boardwalk.

Worr.. Fly fishing takes a commitment of time. Stay with your fly rod. Practice your knots at home so you can get on the river ready to fish. Old, cheap or worn out equipment is like overhauling your engine with the same kind of tools. You might get it done, but it is a huge hassle. Decent line will vastly improve your fishing time. Today there are good rods for around $100. Good basic reels for $50. Decent line will cost $50 or more. A hand full of woolly buggers,BHPT(bead head pheasant tail) and a few other flies and you are ready to fish. Hang in there.

Sure Knots, Monktrout
I was watching over 15 fishermen for about 2 or 3 hours I was below the dam, and one guy caught 2 fish, that was it. I moved down to the rest area where I was alone for about an hour before some guy showed up, I caught 2 browns and 2 brookies, he didn't catch a thing, but he was using a giant bass lure. I'm not made of money, and I think the old fly rod is pretty cool. Sure, I could use new line and possibly a reel, but for now I need to spend my time practicing. I can do the fisherman's knot day in and day out, and when my leader broke the shop owner taught me how to tie it back on by twisting the two together and putting both ends through the loop.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:46 PM

Default Crowded Caney

I was out there....I started at the dam but it was too **** crowded for my taste, so after the stocking truck pulled-in (and still no strikes) I headed down to Happy Hollow (which was a little better crowd-wise) and was experiencing the same frustration with not getting any takers.....so after 20 min or so I tied on a yellow parachute Adams just because it was almost the only pattern I hadn't yet tried, and on the first cast a FAT Rainbow absolutely demolished it This was certainly the largest fish I'd ever landed on the Caney, somewhere between 12-14 inches and heavy.... After that fight I was thankful that I had decided to fish with the 7wt instead of the 4wt. Late in the day, I started getting fish on the standard zebra midges and prince nymphs once again. I also stumbled upon a patch of Brook Trout who ate anything.

After a long day of stumbling I also managed to stumble upon someone's fly box. I'd be happy to return it to anyone who can provide a good description of the item and its contents.

rainshaker at comcast dot net