Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-09-2008, 06:36 AM

Cool Townsend Trout and tubers= Paradise Lost

Everyone elses experiences may be different but, ever since the tubing places started renting tubes by the hundreds in Townsend about ten years ago the fishing here has sucked for the most part. Nothing like it used to be. The waters are polluted more. Just the other day I picked up nearly two bags of trash on the side of the river. Not necessarly blaming the tubers but I think they have a lot to do with it. Now I belive we should share the river but I also belive the tube rental places should be regulated better. Here is why. Many people who rent those things are from somewhere else and the river to them is comparable to the lazy river at dollys splash country. They don't realize that everything they mess with changes a creatures habitat and if they throw their trash their is not night shift that comes in and cleans it. I belive tubing should be allowed in the Little River but I belive it should be BYOT bring your own tube. This would cut back on sheer numbers and I believe would make the river much healthier. Also, isn't it illegal for the tubing places to drop tubers off inside the park because it says commercial vehicles prohibited. This being said I know of at least one place that goes a mile or so into the park to drop off tubers. Sorry if i've strayed too far off of the fishing, but this all relates to it in the end
Old 06-09-2008, 10:55 AM

It makes me sick to be fishing and see trash. I usually carry a small bag with me to pick up trash as i fish and throw it away when i get home. However, i cant blame the majority of it on tubers. Tubers usually cant carry much to litter with on them anyways while tubing. Not saying they never do it or anything. But it seems to be ignorant or naive out of state people in general that do much of the littering. Whether their throwing trash out of the window while driving or leaving stuff behind after a picnic. These people dont realize or care that it has an effect on the environment. Im not bashing tourist by any means, i have seen many visitors pick up trash, and help preserve the park. Its just the ocassional rotten eggs that ruin the party. Btw, i have seen that tubing company running that bus into the park, and unless they have a permit of some kind i guess they would be breaking the law.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:52 PM

First, blame the tubers not the companies. I spent some time during Troutfest talking with the owners of one of those companies. His family was there supporting us, and they sponsor the event. He is a conservationist, and has enjoyed getting to know some of us fishermen. He told me that he prefers his customers to use the points in which they drop off people, not in the National Park. The tubers you see further up and further in, have provided their own transportation. The respectable owners of the tubing companies encourage conservation as well, since nobody wants to tube down a trashed river.

Secondly, if it is warm enough for tubers, head to the higher elevations. It's pretty fun fishing those smaller streams, and the water temps will be cooler.

If you want to join some efforts on cleaning up the streams, the LRCTU (Little River Chapter of Trout Unlimited) has a clean up day in April (www.lrctu.org will have the date posted, plus it will usually get posted on this board), and the new FFF chapter in the area is planning to do a clean up day through Townsend in September. The owner of that tubing company was aware of the effort, and was pretty happy about it.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:32 PM

I was up there saturday and to say there were LOTS of people would be an understatement. I took my children to the "Y" to let them swim for a while. It wasn't crowded when we arrived but before I could talk my daughter into leaving I was descusted/depressed (however I felt better about how I looked). What got me most was the "oil" coming down the river. I know it doesn't take alot of "oil" to make a slick but when your in a moving water system and it just keeps coming for an hour it's rediculas. Everyone was lathering up with some sort of sun protection and then diving into the water. As for the tubers, well, some are very creative. The best I have seen is a tube with the sole purpose in life 2 be a beer cooler carrier. A wooden board was tied on it and a cooler was placed on it then the tube was tied to the tuber. LOL! I have caught trout right infront of and behind tubers at Elkmont so I would guess they become some what used to them.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:46 PM

Hey - lets look at the positive side to the tube hatch - you can put away the gossamer tippets and #22 midges and get some practice in with the 10wt...flies are much more fun and creative when tied on 5/0 hooks...last year I caught a nicen' on a twinkie fly...the trick is to get that thing to float as close to the quarry with out spookin em - same as the current (still have ta get in that drag free drift) but you have to lead 'em a bit into thier visual cone and make sure you strip strike when setting the hook. LDR's are common cause the there are some biggn's out there and don't for get to throw the little ones back...
Old 06-16-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterborn View Post
Hey - lets look at the positive side to the tube hatch - you can put away the gossamer tippets and #22 midges and get some practice in with the 10wt...flies are much more fun and creative when tied on 5/0 hooks...last year I caught a nicen' on a twinkie fly...the trick is to get that thing to float as close to the quarry with out spookin em - same as the current (still have ta get in that drag free drift) but you have to lead 'em a bit into thier visual cone and make sure you strip strike when setting the hook. LDR's are common cause the there are some biggn's out there and don't for get to throw the little ones back...
I'm in total agreement....tie on a 60lb braided line and get ready for a fight! Tubers are waaaaay under-rated as a sporting fish.

This is the lure they go for....I've had good luck with this one late in the day

Old 06-16-2008, 10:25 PM

Don't forget that treble hooks aren't allowed in the park, so you'll have to clip off some hooks. How do you get deer hair to spin like that?