Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 06-19-2008, 01:28 AM

Default Golden Bone

Well, I suppose I'm a card carrying member of the N.O.C - "Never Our Club" according to certain individuals views because I have started to like pursuing the golden bone. Its been something of means to and end 'cause decent carpn' water is only 15 min away when I can't get out to the mountains or a tailwater for trout. Its a great fix and its a lot harder than you'd think - one shouldn't knock it till they've tried it with a fly rod and fly. Half the equation is the stalk, the other half is the cast/presentation...these things will eat, you just have to get in to them. That's the thrill - the chase...okay and the rippin' runs and tired arms afterwards.

This guy was not on some muddy flat in stagnant water, he was actually in the current feeding in rocky substrate in the clear waters of the Little Pigeon River...the jointed hellgrammite strikes again. The brute I had on before this straightened out a 1/0 saltwater hook...

Remember - just get out there and have fun - no matter what floats your boat!
Old 06-19-2008, 11:07 AM

Waterborn - great close up photo.

I too have seen these guys in a some relatively fast, clear water current. While fishing the Nolichuckey (about 30 minutes from home) a few weeks back and after having no luck with smallies or red eyes, I found myself casting my olive bugger in thier direction. I could only take so much of their gold flashes.

Joe Fred

Last edited by JoeFred; 06-19-2008 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: Was too lenghty.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:08 PM

Nice Pictures!

I have a hard time catching them in the fast water. Most of the time they are heads down and I have a hard time getting something to sit on the bottom long enough for them to eat it. What are you having luck catching them on?
Old 06-19-2008, 06:05 PM

Sorry to disappoint but that is not a carp. That is a smallmouth buffalo who primarily feed on vegetation and not helgramites. I have blundered into a few on beadheads but think it just happened to drift into ones face or something along those lines. Most of them I have brought to hand have been snagged.

Makes no difference as long as you had a good time, just thought I would clarify for others so they don't waste half a day trying to get one to eat.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the clarification, come to think of it I looked back at the other fish pick I posted earlier in "day of firsts" and was too much focused on the flashy golden size and not paid much attention to the fact there was no fu man chu wiskers - at any rate, I get to add it to my warm water species list...now if I can just get that gar....
curious though, this fish did move to the fly (could have been my imagination, but the hookset was good) - maybe my hellgrammite patten looked like some elodea or what not - who knows, but there is a ton of them out there amongst the carp in the Lower Little Pig and tought to ignore...though I've not tied 'em this maybe something worth trying if one were so inclined
http://www.warmwaterflyfisher.com/fl...FOTM112005.htm
a bonus is that I've notices some seriously nice sized smallmouth hanging out with the pods of carp/smb...I've read they do that to scavage as the host fish root around and stir up crawdads and what not...
Old 06-19-2008, 08:56 PM

I don't care what fish it is!! That up close shot is fantastic!
Old 06-19-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterborn View Post
Thanks for the clarification, come to think of it I looked back at the other fish pick I posted earlier in "day of firsts" and was too much focused on the flashy golden size and not paid much attention to the fact there was no fu man chu wiskers - at any rate, I get to add it to my warm water species list...now if I can just get that gar....
curious though, this fish did move to the fly (could have been my imagination, but the hookset was good) - maybe my hellgrammite patten looked like some elodea or what not - who knows, but there is a ton of them out there amongst the carp in the Lower Little Pig and tought to ignore...though I've not tied 'em this maybe something worth trying if one were so inclined
http://www.warmwaterflyfisher.com/fl...FOTM112005.htm
a bonus is that I've notices some seriously nice sized smallmouth hanging out with the pods of carp/smb...I've read they do that to scavage as the host fish root around and stir up crawdads and what not...
BTW great photos.

Gar are pretty easy to get to eat, getting a hook in them is tough. Take a piece of nylon rope and fray it up real nasty, they will eat it like popcorn and their teeth get tangled in the fibers. Big time fun.

On the Buffs, they are super spooky and more then likely he just moved that way at the right time. Believe me I have tried on thousands to get them to eat and only ever hooked a couple that somehow ended up with a beadhead in their beak. In addition they get huge, and I mean huge 40 lbs or so I would guess by the looks of some of the ones I have seen over the years.

And yes the smallies get in with them, but trying to strip a crayfish through usually ends with something big getting foul hooked and a hideous and long fight to get your fly back. It seems those bass are some of the hardest to catch as well, because they are focused only 1 foot from their face.

Just a piece of advice, I wouldn't waste much time trying to pick off the smallies hanging with the bottom feeders, lots of wasted time, flies, and tippett. Brown trout do the same thing BTW.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:09 PM

Sweet pics Jermz! Really like the close up, beautiful. Would make a killer back ground on somebodies computer monitor.

Was on the Holston a couple of weeks ago. Spent about 3 hours during the heat of the day messing with them fellers or some type of carp. Could never get them to bite. The best reaction I got was a few of the followed a leach pattern. There all over the place up there and have never paid them much attention except to watch them swim by the boat in droves. So I thought what the heck, lets see if I can hook one. I definitely didn't have what the trout wanted during the midday sun.

Love your photo work man, you have always taken sweet photos.

Hope the family is doing well!

Petey