Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 06-15-2008, 11:09 PM

Default Campsite 24

I have been looking forward to my first - hike, camp and fish weekend for a while now. Finally the opportunity came and I headed to the PArk. After stopping at LRO for some advice and flies (to go along with my new 4wt rod I got there the previous week) I headed to Elkmont and started my journey to 24. I met up with a young man who was heading to 23 and walked with him for a while. I am glad I met him, he was planning to fish with some corn and eat whatever he caught. He was unaware of the restrictions in the park, I quickly filled him in. I hope he took my advice. Most likely would not have caught any fish up there anyway with corn and 10lb test line. Anyway, in my case, the fishing was very slow for me as well. I must be too slow or too fast, because I missed probably 25 strikes (from trout, not shiners) and only caught a handful of very small rainbows. It was still the most enjoyable experience I have had in the Smokies, beautiful streams all to myself. Also, the firefly show at night was INCREDIBLE!
Old 06-16-2008, 07:54 AM

Sounds like you had a good time. I almost made that trip myself the other week but chose to stick around Elkmont and Treemont...I didn't do very well.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:27 PM

Here are a few pics of the streams I fished and a nice little bow....

Got a few here at the bridge.......

Small Bow.....

Old 06-23-2008, 09:20 AM

Great photos....some of my favorite water in the Park....have pulled a 14" brown from that pool above the bridge....even took a 9" brown standing on the bridge at about the same spot where you took the picture.....can never resist casting into that pool....thanks for a quick trip back in my mind.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:06 PM

Default 24

On the 4-5 trips I've made up that direction, never had much luck in that particular pool. Although you've already proved me wrong, I've theorized that the Trout are spooked by the constant movement across the bridge.....makes me feel better, anyway. The stretch a few 100 yards below that point is what I consider "prime" here's one I got there. ...a little blurry but...