Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-18-2008, 06:35 AM

We are going this weekend, most likely on saturday. I had thought about upper deep creek but i would kinda like to save that one for my camping trip next month. Thanks for all your help, i still haven't decided anything though.

Craig
Old 06-19-2008, 01:23 PM

I think we've narrowed it down to hiking a few miles into road prong or hiking up to fish camp. If anyone has any experience in these two streams i would appreciate some suggestions. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:13 PM

I,d go to Fish Camp Prong,great Rainbow fishing and great Brook trout further up.There is a creek,not a prong or branch, near there thats got some good Brook trout fishing.The distance keeps the fishing pressure down and it's just a great place to camp.Seems like more trail magic happens up there than any place I've been,except maybe the Graveyard Fields area in the Pisgah NF.It is also the place where I caught my first trout on a dry fly,after 17 years of being a corn and worm fisherman.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:33 PM

What is this graveyard fields I have heard people speak of before? I am interested to know as long as it isnt some big secret and someone willing to share info about it.
"Unless one can enjoy himself fishing with the fly, even when his efforts are unrewarded, he loses much real pleasure. More than half the intense enjoyment of fly-fishing is derived from the beautiful surroundings, the satisfaction felt from being in the open air, the new lease of life secured thereby, and the many, many pleasant recollections of all one has seen, heard and done." - Charles F. Orvis
Old 06-19-2008, 05:11 PM

It's an area off of the blue ridge parkway near canton. It's a pretty popular area with hikers. Be careful if you fish there though, there are certain parts of the river that will keep you boulder hopping like you have never imagined.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

Lots of hikers and swimmers this time of year. Craig, Bugg and I are heading into Deep Creek and staying at 60 from tomorrow through Sunday if everything else falls through we'll be there going after a brown or two.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:50 PM

How far of a hike is it to get to Sams Creek? I guess it is still in the park correct?
"Unless one can enjoy himself fishing with the fly, even when his efforts are unrewarded, he loses much real pleasure. More than half the intense enjoyment of fly-fishing is derived from the beautiful surroundings, the satisfaction felt from being in the open air, the new lease of life secured thereby, and the many, many pleasant recollections of all one has seen, heard and done." - Charles F. Orvis
Old 06-19-2008, 11:43 PM

Fished Chimney Tops and Road Prong Last weekend. Caught TONS of Rainbows (did not expect that many up that high) and one little Brook. He was little but he acted big. Lot of bolder hops but well worth it.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:11 PM

Diamond Dave,

Defeat Ridge trail that Pete was referring to (starting at the same point that Middle Prong trail does but going up the creek to the rightf) takes you up to Sams Creek. It's a fairly easy walk up to the second crossing that he described. Hop across the creek, climb the bank and you can take the trial up till it meets up with Sams Creek 1/2 mile or so from where it dumps in to Thunderhead. It will go through a dry stream bed in several places but you can fairly easily pick up the trail again above. And yes, Sams is definitely in the park.

The one time I fished Sams, I started at the mouth of the creek and went up and then walked the trail back down. Starting at the mouth and working up is pretty adventurous but you see some beautiful sections of creek and the waterfalls that made it a good, separated brookie habitat in the years it was closed.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com