Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Photography

Old 06-26-2008, 01:05 PM

Default SLR Question

Hello, I am interested in getting a digital slr camera and was wondering what advice some of y'all had that are more knowledgeable on these things. I know Daniel is the photography expert around here but i'm pretty sure there are quite a few more with slr's.

I have a pentax optio w20 that works good for fishing pics right now, but i am wanting an slr for the other half so she can take high quality pictures when we go hiking and of me fishing as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:31 PM

Default Another newbie to SLR

I am actually in the process of purchasing my first DSLR right now. After much research and talking with many users, it was recommended that I start off with a Nikon D40. Not too expensive but still has lots of features for a beginner. It is 6.1 MP, but that is plenty for what I plan on doing with my photos. Ritz Camera currently has a deal on where you can buy the camera, the 18-55 mm lens, 55-200 mm lens (a $200 value), and a bag for $599. That is a pretty good deal. Since I don't take very many distance photos, I am going to go with the D40 with the 18-55mm kit lens and purchase a 50mm f1.8 fixed focal lens for portrait photos of the baby and wife.

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 06-26-2008, 05:58 PM

I guess it all depend on how much you want to spend, course there are so many models now to fit anyones price range. Then theres the Nikon vs Canon debate, but the truth is you can't go wrong with either one in the price range thats best for you. I'm a Canon man myself just because I've always shot 'em even with film (well there was that one Nikon FM - loved it) and since I already had the lenses and flashes, it was more cost effective to stay with the brand - I currently use a Canon 40D and its a great shooter though I'd rather have the full frame sensor of a 5D - I didn't pay near the price either...any of the Canon Rebel line up is a great way to break into dslr with
Something to consider too is the Pentax k10d which some selling points there is the dust seals and weather resistance...stuff you find on higher end gear, though I'm not too familier I think Olympus dslr's carry that even on thier baseline models as well - being outdoorspeople that should be something to think about when we drag thousand dollar equipment into the mountains...
Lots of good deals out there - careful of some of the internet pricing scams - if you find a camera you are intersested in check a reputable site like B&H Photo for a baseline price and go from there and a great resource for used gear is KEH out of Atlanta.. Theres a ton of good base packages and kits, aftermarket lenses,tripods,lighting and so on...careful though, if you though flyfishing was and expensive hobby - wait till the shutterbug bites!

Last edited by Waterborn; 06-28-2008 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: spieelin'
Old 06-26-2008, 07:38 PM

Thanks for all of the advice so far, it's alot to take in all at once. I want to get something that is pretty nice simply because we have ambitions of bigger projects down the road, so i don't really want to have to buy another one in the near future. I looked at the canon website a bit and learned some stuff that i think will help me out. I saw the canon xti and it seemed nice but not too expensive either. We don't intend to be taking any pictures for a photography book or anything, but we would like to have a camera that's capable of producing proffesional looking photos to the untrained eye. Thanks again for all of your help.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:04 AM

Default Lenses

A comment above gave me a thought -- would the lenses I have for my Pentax 35mm camera work on a DSLR?

Thanks.

sb
Old 06-27-2008, 09:36 AM

mtnman2888,

My wife and I have the Canon Rebel XTi. It works great. It is 10.1 mega pixels, shoots fast, and does everything we have needed it to do so far. The lesser priced DSLRs like the Rebels just don't have as heavy duty of body frame or bulked up shutters as the more expensive professional bodies do. In my thinking..by the time I wear the Rebel out or bust up the body, it is going to be so outdated that it won't matter.

You can't go wrong with either a Canon or Nikon. Both are great quality. I go with Canon because like Waterborn I've always shot with Canon so I had some lenses and accessories that I could still use.

The lenses that you buy are more important to the final image than the camera body is. Whichever brand you go with...get the name brand lenses.

Daniel
Old 06-27-2008, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the advice. After looking around for awhile i'm thinking that the canon xti would be a good fit for us. We thought about getting that and one lense to start out with. I did a little reading on lenses to learn about them as well, but which one do you find yourself using the most when out in the woods for snapping pictures of far away wildlife, etc.? I don't really know which lense to get because you never know how far away your subject will be out in the wild. I guess i'm looking for a happy medium.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

i use a 12.1 megapixel sony dslr with a 100-300 and a 6.1 konica-minolta dslr with a 70/210.....i have a sony 10.2 dslr with a 100-300 also, but i carry a 35-105 for all for for use with closer stuff...i like the 70-210 for general use, but the 100-300 for bears and elk...
Old 06-28-2008, 09:15 AM

Hey Steve,
I think that there is a possibility that you manual pentax lenses could fit on some of thier dslr though I think most of their line has dedicated lenses, but i read on thier site
Lens Mount:
- PENTAX KAF2 bayonet stainless steel mount compatible with PENTAX KAF2, KAF AND KA mount lenses
- Power zoom function, SDM function
- K-mount lenses usable with restrictions
- S-mount lenses usable with adapter and with restrictions
- 67/645 lenses usable with adapter and with restrictions

most likely if your mount will fit, you won't have any integrated TTL functions/connection but with good ol' manual aperature settings with the lens f/stops and then make adjustments in the exposure with the digital preview, sure you can make it work - I did it with a friends Nikon D70 and some old manual nikon lenses I had - worked great, hard to beat that good glass of yeasteryear...