Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-29-2008, 09:09 AM

Thanks for the acknowledgement, but compared to many in the past, I did very little and to be honest, it was for mostly self interest at the time. I'm glad I did it though. It gave me determination and discipline that I wouldn't have had, had I not joined up. I haven't really climbed the corporate ladder, but who knows where I would be if I hadn't learned those lessons as a young man.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:39 AM

Every bear attack I have read or heard about in the Appalachians has been made on women or children. I think the greatest defense against a black bear is being a full grown man that does not show fear. A black bear is not going to mess with you. A griz is another matter. If it comes to it: fight a black bear, play dead for a griz. If a black bear attacks, it is trying to eat you. If a griz attacks you, it is most likely a territorial attack or it is defending a kill or its cubs.
As far as guns go, my woods gun is .44 magnum, but I never really intended it for bears. I am much more nervous about people out on the end of the road than I am about bears, and I think a hand cannon hanging from my hip deters potential criminals. Just about any caliber is going to scare the bejesus out of bear, but you'll want something that can crack its skull, like a .44, to do real damage in a timely manner.
I know a number of women and younger kids read this board. To you I would say, be cautious and respectful of the animals and the time of year. I think most predatory black bear attacks occur in the Spring. Going hiking or fishing with your father, or husband, or friend if you are worried.
To the adult males, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Like I said, I am much more concerend about running into somebody who isn't pleased with the fact that I have stumbled upon whatever they are doing, than I am about crossing the path of a bear. I have had a lot of encounters with bears over the years, blacks and grizzlies, from hundreds of yards off, to within an arm's reach, and every bear I have ever seen didn't like being near me at all, and left at the first opportunity. Just make sure you give the bear that opportunity.
Please take that for whatever it may be worth. I am certainly no expert.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:00 AM

I saw this same bear last Monday. And he is BIG! I was walking back to my truck parked at the end of the road at Elkmont and about 250 yards before I got back to the parking lot he crossed the trail. He just abled across and didn't pay any attention to me but 35 yards was too close for comfort. Everyone I have told this story to have said that all bears look big when you are that close to them in the woods but I have seen other bears in the woods and this one is by far the biggest. I couldn't help but think that if I hadn't stopped to take a sip of water or cast a time or two more before leaving, he would have been right on top of me when he crossed the trail. Scary stuff. I'm buying some bear mace.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Griffing View Post
Every bear attack I have read or heard about in the Appalachians has been made on women or children. I think the greatest defense against a black bear is being a full grown man that does not show fear. A black bear is not going to mess with you. A griz is another matter. If it comes to it: fight a black bear, play dead for a griz. If a black bear attacks, it is trying to eat you. If a griz attacks you, it is most likely a territorial attack or it is defending a kill or its cubs.
As far as guns go, my woods gun is .44 magnum, but I never really intended it for bears. I am much more nervous about people out on the end of the road than I am about bears, and I think a hand cannon hanging from my hip deters potential criminals. Just about any caliber is going to scare the bejesus out of bear, but you'll want something that can crack its skull, like a .44, to do real damage in a timely manner.
I know a number of women and younger kids read this board. To you I would say, be cautious and respectful of the animals and the time of year. I think most predatory black bear attacks occur in the Spring. Going hiking or fishing with your father, or husband, or friend if you are worried.
To the adult males, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Like I said, I am much more concerend about running into somebody who isn't pleased with the fact that I have stumbled upon whatever they are doing, than I am about crossing the path of a bear. I have had a lot of encounters with bears over the years, blacks and grizzlies, from hundreds of yards off, to within an arm's reach, and every bear I have ever seen didn't like being near me at all, and left at the first opportunity. Just make sure you give the bear that opportunity.
Please take that for whatever it may be worth. I am certainly no expert.

Man, I don't know how long they would send a fella to prison for having a gun in the park, but it would be a while Having said that, I htink we should be allowed, but that's just me.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:24 PM

BRF,
I don't take a gun into the park, and I wasn't suggesting that anyone else should. As I said, I carry a gun when I am concerned about people, and I am less worried about running into the wrong kind of people in a national park than in a national forest or some other place that has less visitors and is less frequented by any sort of law enforcement.
Getting back to bears: I'm 5'11'', weigh 215 lbs, and I am in fairly good shape. I don't think I'm a tough guy or anything, but there is no wild animal in the Smokeys that wants to tangle with me. I'm not so naive as to think I could outfight a bear: I know any adult bears could wear me out easily if it decided to. But the trick is, it doesn't know that. What it does know is that I'm big enough to be a problem and that it might very well might get hurt in the process of taking me down, which is lethal in their world. So they choose to go the other way.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:44 PM

Oh...I got you I think with a large knife, you would put up a better fight than you think. Just don't try and fight it head on. I think everyone should learn to box. It's easier to win a fight by dodging blows than by landing them. We will have to put all of this to a test. I vote one of us volunteers to try out there theory on bear fightin' The minimum wight is 200lbs and since I'm only 190...
Old 06-30-2008, 07:47 PM

[quote=Brian Griffing;54624]BRF,
I don't take a gun into the park, and I wasn't suggesting that anyone else should.quote]

You said it and I can PROVE you said it...CITIZENS ARREST! CITIZENS ARREST!
Old 07-03-2008, 01:20 PM

Post ain't skeered

Maybe I am crazy but I have never been very frightened of black bears I meet away from the roads. Including she bears with cubs. I have surprised well over thirty on trails or along rivers, some within 3 feet of me. Acually both of us are usually surprised. I do not back down, but if I'm moving I keep moving, unless it is toward them. While some of these bears were wary, a few even giving me a "WUFF", none have moved toward me. A few have stood their ground, most amble or run away. Bears by roads or towns are much different. I would never get out of a vehicle when I know one is in the area. Unlike some of the idiots I see in Cades Cove chasing them with cameras. I treasure each sighting I am blessed with. Yes they are wild animals. As far as they know so am I. I do feel if I showed fear they may pick up on it. I do not carry spray and would never pack a gun. My wife is sometimes with me or in the vicinity. we hiked Elkmont shortly after the ONE AND ONLY bear attack recorded in GSM park history. She feels as I do. she carrys a small pepper spray -------- for the human animals that frequent the park not the bears. There is more to fear from them.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:48 PM

Saw another black bear in Elkmont area yesterday. I think we noticed each other at the same time and it took off like a bottle rocket "4 July" . It's nice to know that some bears are still afaid of humans in the area.

Oh and Gatorbaiter I don't think that the guy on discovery channels walking with bears was "skeered" either, but we know the end of that story. j.k.

<>< John Zimmerman
Old 07-03-2008, 02:43 PM

those were grizzly bears correct? different animal - different reactions